Forums Latest Members

Unscrew crown. Loud pop sound when disengaged

1. Madjam1966 Jul 24, 2020

Hey all. Probably being unnecessarily paranoid but when I unscrew the crown of my Railmaster (2020, 8600 variant) when it disengages from the thread it pops out with a literal pop sound, quite loudly. Is this normal? Other watches I own when undoing the crown pop out in a more subdued fashion!

Thanks!

I

2. Rquacken Jul 24, 2020

I’m not an expert, and I don’t have a Railmaster. However when my Seamaster crown is unscrewed there’s a pop/click. It’s not LOUD but you can hear a little pop

I guess the question is how loud is your popping sound.

3. Madjam1966 Jul 24, 2020

It's just a notable click. Have compared it with the crown on my 2008 SMP (2500) and that's just quieter. I need to test one at an AD but nothing nearby. Assume the AT has a similar thread and the crown is similar too.

4. Rquacken Jul 24, 2020

Now I’m sitting here playing with the crowns of my watches. I have the 212.30.41.20.03.001. And I’d say there is a notable click on that one. I have other watches that are definitely louder but it’s not silent.

Ok after playing with this thing for 20 minutes now I guess it may depend on how you unscrew it. If I’m holding the crown firmly it really doesn’t make any noise. If I’m just unscrewing and kind of let it go it makes a click.
    Although I’m probably considered a novice compared to most people on here so don’t listen to me

as a matter of fact I’m waiting for someone to tell me you should be holding the crown firmly im going to Mess it up by just spinning it.

Edited Jul 24, 2020
    Madjam1966 likes this.
  5. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Jul 24, 2020

For all SMP’s this “click” from the crown is the Laser mechanism engaging, ready for use with the HE valve. It’s an often forgotten feature with this watch, but it’s buried in the owners manual.

6. Madjam1966 Jul 24, 2020

With regards to the RM, it clicks if you hold the crown as it detaches itself from the thread, or if you let go at that point. It's a solid, definite click.
    But with my (older) SMP the click is there but barely noticeable

7. Madjam1966 Jul 24, 2020

Here you go

Fast forward to 5:40 on this for the said sound/click. Same as mine so all is good. :)

Pazzo likes this.