Forums Latest Members

Unremarkable and Ordinary?

1. mzinski Sep 18, 2019

It seems like everything in the vintage (20+ years or older) world everything is "unique", "barn find", "original", "special", "unpolished", "military issued", "full set", etc, etc, etc. Is it possible to purchase unremarkable, ordinary vintage Omegas and unremarkable, ordinary price points? You know, watches that have seen multiple owners, various degrees of service, don't have any paper or boxes, replacement service parts, run-of-the-mill accessories, normal patina, or otherwise regular, vintage watches.
    What do you think, do these exist?
    An as an aside, do you think the Omega Professional watches from the 80's and 90's are as readily sold/available as compared with the 60's and 70's references?

2. Rochete Sep 18, 2019

There are plenty of them. Millions. Most avilable vintage watches are like you describe, regardless of what seller says.

3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 18, 2019

80-90 are almost as common as 60-70 pieces. There are various reasons for this.

Plenty of pieces are available in normal condition.

4. joeshoup Sep 18, 2019

Indeed, most of those 'unique' 'barn find' etc etc watches are just normal, well-used watches that are being talked up by the seller in hopes that you will overpay them. So yes, they are everywhere!

Normal prices though, that's harder. We're in the midst of history's greatest bubble in watch prices (and prices for many other things too, don't get me started on stocks!) Sadly the market is bearing the inflated prices quite well. There is much speculation about what will happen in the next recession, but no one really knows!

5. Walrus Sep 18, 2019

As an aside I check out little antique shops and they had this one bulova, it was a vintage automatic in nice condition, for sale. I asked her what she was asking for it and she gave me this big schpiel about that particular model just sold online for 1,000 dollars. I said ok thanks and walked out. I looked it up and sure enough some company selling them had an ad they one had just sold for 1,000. Dig a little deeper and you can find the same watch for 3-400 perhaps a little more. I guess it’s just the mindset now I guess she is convinced she can get 1,000 for it.