Forums Latest Members
  1. Danvr Feb 10, 2019

upload_2019-2-10_16-54-15.jpeg 6A639527-1D19-463A-B771-35411819EDD7.jpeg
    Hi - This watch is presently with Omega Switzerland who have advised me that it needs a new case and a service.

It was a gift to me a few years ago. Sadly I dropped it and it stopped working.

The many dealers I approached differed in opinion on wether it is gold

It has an electric element to mechanism and was too conplex to repair locally

I eventually took it to local Omega shop, who in turn sent to Omega UK and then Omega Switzerland - who await my decision on wether to spend £1040 total

I could not find this model in the Omega encyclopaedia that was in the shop

Is it genuine Omega?
    Would Omega offer to service if not?
    Any advice on year would be welcome

I love the watch and wouldn’t sell. I’m likely to payup to have it fixed

Any advice or opinion would be welcomed please

2. robocaspar Feb 10, 2019

Omega wouldn't offer to service it if it was fake.

That being said I don't think it's worth the repair quote they are asking.

Danvr likes this.
  3. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Feb 10, 2019

We cannot tell if watch is solid gold or not from the pictures or description.

My guess is gold plated. If Omega wanted to replace a solid gold case, it would cost a lot more than $1,400.

Date looks to be late 1970’s to 1980’s. I agree that the value is far less than cost to service. A local watchmaker may have another quartz movement that would fit the watch and make it functional for far less than Omega’s quote.

Another alternative would be to find out the caliber (model) number of the movement and try to buy another Omega in working condition with that movement. A watchmaker could swap it out for you.
    gatorcpa

Danvr likes this.
  4. ChrisN Feb 10, 2019

Danvr likes this.
  5. Danvr Feb 14, 2019

Hi All

thanks for your helpful responses

I think that, as Chris suggests, it is quite unusual and many dealers have advised me parts are hard to source. I realise I could ask a dealer to change the movement and will consider this.

I am quite attached to watch, it seems fairly rare too I think . Omega were quite interested that the Omega label is lower down on watch face.

The quote is £1000 + £40 for a new case and complete service.

I've also got a significant Birthday approaching and think I may take the financial plunge for sentimental reasons

I like the thought that it'll be certified by Omega with before/after photos and look like new

Once again many thanks for input :)