Forums Latest Members

Universal Geneve - Welcoming a Monodatic !

1. MarktheTime Nov 9, 2019

Just landed, Ref 200100, from 1951/52. Been hunting for one of these for the past year or two without success, and now couldn’t be happier. Off to the watchmaker for a quick service and a new bumper spring, but wanted to share this first wristshot (and apologies to those of you who already saw it this morning on IG).

Vintage UG is the best!

0D15DF6E-5B33-44EA-96E1-4A1381C9EAC0.jpeg E2BE74A4-F17A-469A-AA46-FC329D2DEC25.jpeg
    DomB, Mark020, ELV web and 17 others like this.
  2. bgrisso Nov 9, 2019

Beautiful! Monodatics are a great series from UG, I think I have had 5 or so, there is great variation and hard to find in this condition. Undervalued IMO and up there with polerouters.

Woops, sdre, filmir and 1 other person like this.
  3. Carlton-Browne Nov 9, 2019

Very nice. Another member on here has one with the original crystal, complete with cyclops, which really makes it pop. I'd consider seeing if your watchie could glue one on even though that would mean it's on the outside rather than the inside (and assuming you can glue a cyclops to a non-sapphire - and that you can get a circular one).

Edit: https://www.esslinger.com/watch-crystal-glass-round-date-magnifiers/

4. MarktheTime Nov 9, 2019

@bgrisso @Carlton-Browne - thanks guys, very happy with this one! My watchmaker already has it and will be installing a new crystal - some deep scratches that can’t easily be buffed out on the current one- but I don’t think I want to mess with a cyclops just yet. I’ve seen them on some of the early Monos, and they look great, but they didn’t come on all of them and I like the cleaner look without them - at least so far. Will keep it in mind though...maybe eventually!

Carlton-Browne and filmir like this.
  5. sdre Nov 9, 2019

Congrats! Been looking for one (obviously not looking hard enough >.<)

MarktheTime likes this.
  6. michael22 Nov 9, 2019

That's gorgeous, I can see why you kept hunting.
    It's interesting how watches at this time often had beautifully embellished dials, & such plain hands.

MarktheTime likes this.
  7. MarktheTime Nov 9, 2019

@sdre @michael22 - thanks, just happened to get lucky with this one. Right time, right place, moved quickly. Michael, you’re right about the relatively “plain” hands, but what really got me was the machine turned grooves around the outside of the dial and the gold dots at the minute markers that really shimmer and are in great shape for a nearly 70 year old watch. They almost look rose gold in natural light, though I’m pretty sure they are yellow gold. And the finishing touch is the roulette wheel - red odd dates, and black even dates. :)
    Thanks again.

Carlton-Browne and michael22 like this.
  8. valjoux72 Nov 10, 2019

Great looking watch, love the second pic of the bitonal dial. Pure elegance!!

MarktheTime likes this.
  9. Targa505 Aug 17, 2021

What’s the value??