Forums Latest Members

UNIVERSAL GENEVE "GOLDEN JANUS WATCHBOX

1. ray888 Apr 7, 2017

Hi to all,
    I am new to this forum and am wondering if anyone can help with some info on this watchbox and the original watch that should go with it. I believe that the watch was made to celebrate the 100th birthday of Universal Geneve because it has the dates 1894 - 1994 on the box. Thanks in advance. DSCF0001.JPG DSCF0002.JPG DSCF0003.JPG DSCF0004.JPG DSCF0005.JPG DSCF0006.JPG DSCF0007.JPG

2. Severin Apr 7, 2017

ray888 likes this.
  3. ray888 Apr 7, 2017

Thanks Severin, It's been very helpful in gathering information about the watch that came with the box.. I have now seen 2 of these watches second hand but they were way out of my price range. One realised $12,000 US and the other 92,000 HKD. God knows how much they cost new.
    Guess it only leaves me with the option to try to find a buyer now. Have you any idea how much I could reasonably ask for it?

Following info gathered with your help thanks.

Universal Geneve, "Golden Janus Cabriolet", Limited series of 150 unique commemorative pieces, produced for the 100th Anniversary of Universal, in April 1994

Universal Geneve, "Golden Janus Cabriolet", series of 150 unique commemorative pieces, produced for the 100th Anniversary of Universal, in April 1994. Very fine rectangular, two time-zone with diurnal and nocturnal indication, jumping-hour, platinum and 18K pink gold "cabriolet" gentleman's wristwatch with fitted box, magnifying glass and certificate.

Golden Janus watch.jpg

4. ray888 Apr 9, 2017

I also found this for sale description of a used Janus so am unsure if Universal made 10 or 150 unique pieces. Anyone know which is correct?

Description: Universal Geneve, 'Golden Janus Cabriolet'. Production of a series of 10 unique commemorative pieces,made expressly for the 100th Anniversary of Universal, in April 1994.Very fine rectangular, double face, two time zone with diurnal and nocturnal indication, jumping- hour,date, platinum and 18K pink gold 'cabriolet' gentleman's wristwatch. Accompanied by a stainless steel and pink gold Universal deployant clasp. Accompanied by original fitted box. C. three-body, solid, polished, outer case in platinum, on the top lug, at 12 o'clock rotating system for the'cabriolet', on the back, the Universal Watch logo and the engraved effigy of 'Janus', inside, the inscription '100ans de tradition horlogère, 1894-1994, Modèle unique'. Inner case in 18K pink gold, bearing two crowns on one side for the separation of the functions, and one on the other side to adjust all the functions of both dials, screwed bars. At 6 o'clock, a platinum bolt engraved on one side : 1894 and on the other one : 1994, serving at the sametime to fix the inner case to the platinum body. D. on one side, two-tone silver dial with applied pink gold Roman numerals. 'Feuille' pink gold hands. On the other side, matte and guilloche silver, on the 12, off- center dial with painted gold Arabic numerals and indexes for the minutes and the seconds, aperture for the jumping-hour; on the9, aperture for the diurnal and nocturnal hours; on the 6, auxiliary dialfor the days of the month. M. 8.75in cal.42, rhodium plated, 17 jewels lever escapement, Glucidur balance adjusted to 3 positions, Incabloc system, self-compensatingflat balance spring.Dial, case, and movement signed.Dim. 26.5 x 43 mm. Grading System C 1 D 1-01 M 1* AAA Estimate:SFr.: E18000-20000 US$: E10200-11500 This 'cabriolet' watch is inspired by the model created by Universal in the 1920's, the rotation system of which is very similar.Four out of the 10 examples produced were presented at the thematic auction '100 Years Universal' on April 9, 1994,s 148, 149, 150, and 151.Janus was a deity in Roman Mythology.The god of portals, but also of entrances and exits, of beginnings and endings,he has become through the ages the symbol of the passing of time.He gave his name to the month of January. According to certain traditions, he was the greatest of gods. His temple was opened in times of war and closed in times of peace. Janus is usually represented with two heads in profile, right and left. Like the ancient Roman two-faced god, the 'Janus' by Universal has two faces as well.