Forums Latest Members

FS Universal Genève Tri-Compax 22258

1. chanjere05 Jul 7, 2019

Hello,

This is only my second sales listing here on OF and any feedback is welcome!

I'm selling my UG Tri-Compax that I purchased from another OF member on April 17th, 2017 as I've been too worried to wear it out of the house, out of fear of putting wear on it. Therefore, it has to go!

I aim for full disclosure to the best of my knowledge:

Dial: The dial is in excellent condition and the main thing that attracted me to the watch originally. There is no hyphen between "Tri" and "Compax" and this indicates that it is most likely an original replacement dial from the 60s. There was a thread discussing this topic on the UG sub-forum. All printing is sharp and the moon phase still retains most of its original colour.

Aging of the lume is quite even and does not glow even when charged with light. Slight lume loss at the 10 o'clock marker only, when the watch was shipped to me. All the lume was present when the seller listed the watch so I had to assume it was during shipping that some lume fell out.

Upon receipt of the watch, I had a watchmaker check and clear any of the broken off lume to prevent any of it getting into the movement.

Hands: The hands are also in excellent condition. One thing to note is that the hour and minute hands appear dull compared to the bright blued steel of the other hands. After wearing it sparingly (less than 10 times) and carefully (no knocks), I noticed the lume of the minute hand peeling away from the hand and had it sent back to the seller's watchmaker to apply glue to the hour and minute hands. It is a known issue of lume being prone to falling off this style of hands. The glue securing the lume has dulled the hands somewhat.

The lume of the hands glows quite bright only when charged with a strong light source. I cannot confirm if the lume is original or if the hands have been relumed prior to my purchase but no relume was done during my ownership.

Crystal: The crystal was replaced during servicing and is in perfect condition.

Case: The case band and lugs are well defined and I do not believe that it has been polished. Only minor scratches and some pitting for a watch of this age. Some damage between the case band and case back on the left side of the watch when it was opened previously. The damage was already present before I purchased it.

The case size is 34.5mm excluding the crown and lug width is 17mm.

Case back: The case back only has minor hairline scratches. Both the reference number and serial number are clearly stamped. However, there is an additional 5 digit number (42258) below the reference number that both the seller and I have not been able to confirm its origin. Anyone with more knowledge is welcome to comment.

There are no watchmaker marks on the inside of the case back.

Crown/Pushers/Side Correctors: The pushers and crown are in good condition and look original to the watch. All the side correctors work as they should. I use a toothpick when pushing the side correctors to prevent scratches.

Movement: The movement is a UG Cal. 481 with HOX stamp, indicating that it was sold to the US market through the Henri Stern Watch Agency. It was serviced by the seller's watchmaker before it was shipped to me. All calendar and chronograph functions are working except for a slight issue which I will explain in detail to the best of my ability with information provided by the seller's watchmaker.

During service, the watchmaker found that an incorrect 45 minute recorder wheel was installed for the 30 minute sub-dial. Over time, this created wear in the movement plate. The correct wheel was replaced and he had to create a bushing to try and fill the gap in the movement plate. Due to this wear, the 30 minute sub-dial hand wiggles slightly before resting accurately on each minute marker as the chronograph runs. It was the best result he could achieve.

The rest of it: I'm selling the head only. The watch is located with me in Hanoi, Vietnam as I am based here for the foreseeable future. This will be restrictive to many but I can only do a F2F deal as I am not comfortable shipping the watch out of Vietnam. I can ship internationally with Parcelpro insurance when I return to Singapore at the end of the year.

I ask what I paid for it which was USD7,200. If the watch has to be shipped, the buyer will have to bear the cost. Payment by bank wire or Transferwise and I cannot accept returns as it will be difficult for me to do so. I have described the condition and work that was done to the watch as clearly as possible and have all the documentation as proof if the buyer requires it.

I have references here on OF as a buyer which I can provide on request. My first listing was sold outside of OF so I do not have a reference as a seller.

Well, onwards to the photos!

IMG_7200.jpg IMG_7201.jpg IMG_7202.jpg IMG_7204.jpg IMG_6476.jpg IMG_7332.jpg IMG_7330.jpg face 7.jpeg IMG_6297.JPG

There have been many highs and lows during my ownership of this watch and it will be hard to see it leave, especially after looking at that final wrist shot photo. It's not getting the wrist time it deserves so I hope it goes to someone who will cherish and wear it :).

Thank you OF for the space!

khanmu, Rman, raison_ and 13 others like this.
  2. chanjere05 Jul 20, 2019

Bump!