Forums Latest Members
  1. bunthit Jan 28, 2020

Hi everyone,

Has anyone seen a Speedmaster Mark II racing dial like the below I recently purchased:
    red_white.jpg
    More photos via the eBay listing:
    ebay1.jpg

ebay2.jpg

ebay3.jpg

ebay4.jpg

And a comparison one they made as well:

And lastly one of my other racing dials for comparison too:
    normaldial.jpg

Here are close ups on the plots:
    red and white one:
    red_zoom.jpg

red_zoom1.jpg

red_zoom3.jpg

and orange and white one:
    normal_zoom.jpg

normal_zoom1.jpg

I have never seen a red + white dial on a MKII so any thoughts would be appreciated. Could the orange have aged away? Or been removed/repainted?

Thank you!

Etp095 likes this.
  2. Nathan1967 Jan 29, 2020

This is new news to me!

Is it an aftermarket or an early service dial maybe?

3. Tet I prefer Dilmah do try it Jan 29, 2020

No expert but I'd say the orange has faded or crumbled away. Look at the fourth pic from bottom close to the 100 of the tachymeter scale, appears some slight orange remaining to me.

4. bunthit Jan 29, 2020

@Nathan1967 It is a T Swiss Made T dial so I don't believe it would be modern.

@Tet That is what I think might have happened as well. I am not sure if there is an easy way to remove that by hand though --- or if it had degraded on it's own over time

5. Burr Jan 29, 2020

The shade of orange on your hands look a shade darker than your racer dials. I understand it’s not lume on the orange hands, but is it expected to degrade in color if the orange has faded from the dial?

6. bunthit Jan 30, 2020

@Burr On the hand front I am not an expert but from my understanding some of them came as slightly red and some came slightly orange.

"historically there has been a problem with the colour of one of the orange sub dial hands, (omega supplied the one service hand too red, not even matching the other subdial nor the chrono).

also the vintage orange hands fade strongly. Which I like."
    https://forums.watchuseek.com/f20/s...nfiguration-clarification-vintage-974957.html

Burr likes this.
  7. simonsays Jan 31, 2020

IMG_7865.jpg

I have had one of these red only dials(on a closer exam this looks like it’s the same watch). It was my guess that the orange had completely faded away over time. The Omega logo and plots should originally be orange but are now cream.

It is an attractive and desirable affect in my opinion.

A close examination of the Omega logo may tell the story. I think it is cream like the plots rather than the white of the rest of the text suggesting fade to me.

Edited Jan 31, 2020
    OMEGuy, bunthit and Nathan1967 like this.
  8. Burr Jan 31, 2020

If your hands are slightly red from a service, that could support the earlier mentioned hypothesis of the dial being potentially serviced. Either way, it’s a great looking watch. Nice find!

9. bunthit Jan 31, 2020

@simonsays Do you have any other close ups on the red and white one? I was trying to see if it had happened anywhere else. I agree that I love how it looks -- maybe the next re-issue they can take some inspiration and remove the date and make a true red+white version.

@Burr I have no guarantee if the hands are service but that was what that other forum had said -- I have seen others with more orange or more red tinted hands so it's to know what they were doing.

10. miramogge Jan 31, 2020

Looks awesome

11. OMEGuy Jan 31, 2020

The watch is really beautiful. Thank you for sharing the pics! :)

I think (as has been said here), that it's a matter of discolouration, but no special edition to deal with.

There are also several different shades of red to be found on the Mk II Racing, but they are not considered to be anything else than just different shades of ageing.