Forums Latest Members

Unique color or extreme tropical

1. Dr.Sascha Sep 11, 2020

So, here's a new addition, a Wakmann yachting chrono, but it comes with a bit of a puzzle. When I bought it, I thought the dial had gone tropical, as I've only ever seen these in either black or dark blue. However, on arrival, the color just seems too even. I'm now thinking that this is just an extremely rare color for this model (I haven't been able to find even a single other example despite diligent searching). Oh collective wisdom and experience of OF, what does thou think?

PS Yes, yes, I know it needs a new crystal, I'm getting to that!

2. Dr.Sascha Sep 11, 2020

3. LesXL Sep 11, 2020

First, wow and congratulations! Really nice piece there.

I'll tend to the "extremely rare" colour hypothesis. The clearer white part of the dial doesn't seem to have same level of patina, should it have been "tropicalised" evenly.

All together, I'm jealous :)

4. LesXL Sep 11, 2020

Do you think it could be a redial, btw?

5. jaguar11 Sep 11, 2020

Assuming is is original it look very nice either way!!

6. WatchCor Sep 11, 2020

I am a total layman when it comes to Wakmans but I can say that looks absolutely gorgeous. Congrats.

As a guess I would say that it's tropical.

subdial.jpg

To me that looks like black or dark blue. Possibly better preserved due to the proximity of the subdial. Maybe they used different type of lacquer/coating on the subdials. I think the seconds subdial exhibit some color variation too.

subdial2.jpg

Just my 2c , but my rough estimate is that there around 50% chance my guess is wrong:p

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  7. Dr.Sascha Sep 11, 2020

No, I am certain it is original. I researched this one _very_ carefully before purchase (as I always do). It matches the reference dials perfectly down to the smallest detail, and the overall ageing on the dial (e.g. the lumed arabic numerals and the rest of the lettering) is consistent with the general wear on the case and the crystal (which is original, I believe). One of the nice things about Wakmanns, and one of the reasons I've bought several over the past few years, is that the dial construction is consistently of a very high standard, which means that they age very well. As long as the integrity of the case is maintained, there is relatively minimal degradation over time. You can see another example here: https://omegaforums.net/threads/wruw-today.567/page-7685#post-1597759

sonicosa and LesXL like this.
  8. Dr.Sascha Sep 11, 2020

That's a very sharp observation, sir! But I think what you are seeing there is a slight shadow from the curved "dip" on the perimeter of the sunken subdials. For some reason, it's more pronounced at the top and bottom of the subdials than it is on the sides.

9. WatchCor Sep 11, 2020

Yea could be, but looking on the straight on photo it's definitely more pronounced on the minute subdial and "bleeds" to the smooth part of the dial. On the seconds subdial ; I agree, definitely the edge but that darker patch is not an edge on the left subdial imo.

But yes, to reiterate there's a 50% chance that my guess is wrong.:cool:

Either way, absolutely wonderful piece.

10. Dr.Sascha Sep 11, 2020

I think part of it might be a black outline painted onto the subdial, but asymmetrical, which happens with hand-painting of dials using very, very small brushes, but who knows :confused:

Here's the reference dial, if anyone is interested: https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a569036/found-vintage-wakmann-chronograph-watches/
    That one is definitely tropical, and is very similar in the straight-on shot to mine, but without the angle in sunlight it's hard to tell for certain, so no definitive evidence there. I guess it will remain a mystery, but one I am happy to live with!

WatchCor likes this.
  11. LesXL Sep 11, 2020

Both are beautiful, and double jealous :)

Dr.Sascha likes this.
  12. size11s Can’t bat, can’t bowl Sep 11, 2020

If you look where the subdial at 3 approaches the outer white register the colour appears to darken towards a blue, I don't think that can be a shadow so my guess is tropical.

WatchCor likes this.
  13. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 11, 2020

I have no specific knowledge of the brand, but if it is an original dial, the quality control on the lume application was horrific.

[​IMG]

image.png
  14. Dr.Sascha Sep 11, 2020

Friday night at the workshop. I often see hand-painted arabic lumes "coloring outside the lines" and it's exacerbated by the pillowing over time. We should also remember that Wakmanns were entry-level pieces back in the day, for the most part. Again, if you look at the reference dial, it's got the same issues, though that 6 is a bit egregious :rolleyes:

15. Dr.Sascha Sep 11, 2020

That's a good point! Maybe what we're looking at here is a dial that went tropical from dark blue, rather than black, hence the fade to a bronze, rather than the more typical brown.

16. Marsimaxam Sep 11, 2020

That is a stunning watch. All I know about Wakmanns is that there was some connection with Breitling. I did a "Google" search and found the same model as yours that had gone tropical as well. My vote is your watch is a tropical dial and not a unique color.
    Also a good article that explains tropical dials... worth a quick read.

Here are the links to both sites:
    https://www.gearpatrol.com/watches/a569036/found-vintage-wakmann-chronograph-watches/
    Wakmann Tropical Chronograph

[​IMG]

What We Like: Some collectors are really into dials that have aged to take on a “tropical chocolate” look like this one — that doesn’t mean they have melted, but rather have developed a rich brown hue, often from prolonged exposure to sun. This particular watch features a highly wearable 37mm case and is powered by a manually wound Swiss chronograph movement.

From the Seller: Case in great condition, no blemishes.

Tropical Dials Explained:
    https://www.ablogtowatch.com/tropical-dials-explained-by-a-vintage-watch-restoration-expert/

Edited Sep 12, 2020
    Dr.Sascha likes this.
  17. Dr.Sascha Sep 12, 2020

Spot on--that's what I'm using as my reference dial. As I mention above, I think this is another one that was originally dark blue, hence the very curious "bronze tropical" rather than the more typical brown. Wakmann did buy up Breitling parts when the latter was selling them off, but they also have a relationship with Auguenot Freres, the French workshop that produced very beautiful Yemas and Le Jours--lots of interesting variations and combinations of dials, cases and movement came out of AF. Then you had the US-side Wakmann assembly of components produced in Switzerland, shipped in parts in order to avoid the tax on Swiss watches. So you will occasionally see Wakmann-Brietlings and also similarities between Wakmanns and Le Jours. Here's one of the former: BREITLING 765 Premier Silver Wakmann Chronograph Venus 178 Vintage 1966 Top Time https://ebay.us/WVFB80

Marsimaxam likes this.
  18. Dr.Sascha Oct 24, 2020

Just FYI for anyone still following this thread, I'm putting this one on the block in Private Watch Sales soon, but if anyone wants dibs, please PM me!