Forums Latest Members
  1. IntenseImage Feb 10, 2020

My wife sits down at dinner the other night after visiting her uncle who is at a rehab facility from taking a fall. Her brother tells her she needs to come over and help him start cleaning up some of the uncle's belongings (it's getting close to that time) and that he has a "drawer of watches, a few have certificates and are Rolex" ... I told her to have him send pics so I can see what we are dealing with. Pics come in and my jaw hit the floor. 80s models - Pepsi, Coke, and a Submariner. His house is NOT in a good area, no security systems, and these have literally been sitting in a desk drawer for 20+ years. I told her she needs to get over there and bring them home so we can keep them in our safe. She goes the next day and sends me a few pics of other watches she has found ... Jaw hits the floor again ... Speedmaster!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so here goes the documentation.

For the Sub:
    [​IMG]

The Coke - now when this was located it was together but should the manual be for a Master II instead?:
    [​IMG]

The SpeedMaster (Still no box on this one so would it be considered "papers only"?):
    [​IMG]

The Pepsi - as of now is box only and maybe that Master manual if it truly doesn't belong to the Coke.

Then we have this which leads me to believe there might be another watch in the house ... If not 2 ... What is that Oyster manual to?
    [​IMG]

2. killer67 Feb 10, 2020

Manual might be for a DD based on the pic on the “Your Rolex Oyster” booklet. And three might be a DJ somewhere in the house

Rolex GMT Master manual looks like it should have gone with the 16750 but has the 16760 sticker.

3. IntenseImage Feb 10, 2020

The sticker isn't attached, just laid on top for the pic. Ok so maybe manual for Pepsi but missing for Coke

4. FREDMAYCOIN Feb 10, 2020

Wow, if I were you I’d be there with the wife.

Hugo_Weaving likes this.
  5. IntenseImage Feb 10, 2020

This was about a week ago. Watches and document sitting in our safe right now. She is going back tomorrow when her Uncle comes home from the facility to help him settle in and will look around a bit more.

6. Dan S Feb 10, 2020

Could be a Fat Lady and a DJ somewhere.

watch3s likes this.
  7. killer67 Feb 10, 2020

A quick look reveals maybe you’re missing the 16750 manual based on other full sets out there

EC8F5F0C-0B61-4248-8FCD-A88A94EDAC44.jpeg CBC6556C-B81B-470A-B102-0F342DDD711F.jpeg

8. IntenseImage Feb 10, 2020

Hmm so the Master II may have that GMT Master manual as it was found ... And potentially that Oyster manual too for some odd reason?

Hugo_Weaving likes this.
  9. killer67 Feb 10, 2020

That could very well be. many watches came with a case AND an “instruction” manual. Your 16760 is not a super early variant but they possibly never bothered to change the manual. Rolex is vey slow moving in that respect

Benbradstock and JwRosenthal like this.
  10. JwRosenthal Feb 10, 2020

I love this treasure hunt! Is your uncle-in law Of mind to help you track down what’s missing? I came into a rare collectible fountain pen collection a few years ago and I had more boxes than pens- found out from the deceased owner’s partner that he had a habit of giving his pens to good friends if they liked them....generous....but as I am a collector of things- I would have rather him given the boxes with the pens to keep the set complete.

chronos likes this.
  11. IntenseImage Feb 10, 2020

That's a crap shoot. He remembered the Pepsi but didn't remember having any of the other watches.

12. redpcar Feb 10, 2020

One of the better "Uncle" stories. Kudos to you for your honesty. :)
    Did you throw in a "dibs" or does he have kids?

watch3s likes this.
  13. IntenseImage Feb 10, 2020

His only family is my wife and her brother. He said "he already has a watch" - as he looked at his Apple watch so he definitely won't want these in the end. We were honest w him regarding value and depending on how things are divided when that time comes I have no problem buying out his portion or diverting other assets to him to compensate. We are teaching him what goes into this as an owner too so he sees what it truly takes - appraisal, insurance, getting them serviced. It's not cheap, easy, or quick. These will 100% stay with us and in the family though

Larry S, Uniqez, chronos and 6 others like this.
  14. calalum Feb 10, 2020

Cool story and good for you for treating the brother and uncle fairly.

Benbradstock and IntenseImage like this.
  15. IntenseImage Feb 10, 2020

Her side of the family has some of the most crazy stories ever ... This honestly doesn't surprise me. In fact after I first saw the pics of the Rollies I joked w the wife, "watch this mf'er have a speedy" ... Well sonofab ... He did!

watch3s and JwRosenthal like this.
  16. JwRosenthal Feb 10, 2020

These look equally cool on a woman as they do a man, and if you find the DD- that is an absolutely stunning watch on a woman. My lady has been angling for my 16750 and Airking for some time- shame the bracelets are just too hard from which to remove links ;)
    I hope your wife will enjoy wearing these spectacular heirlooms as well.

Hugo_Weaving and IntenseImage like this.
  17. Walrus Feb 10, 2020

Sorry to hear your uncle is failing. I hope he enjoyed the watches. Nice you and your family will be able to enjoy them now

Benbradstock and IntenseImage like this.
  18. OmeGez Feb 11, 2020

Amazing - you can’t beat finding things like this that will serve as a good memory of him.

they’re all fantastic watches, but that Sub is unreal - that’s my favourite right there.

IntenseImage likes this.