Forums Latest Members
  1. Victorm Apr 27, 2013

Hello y'all,

My dad is a bit of an (amateur) vintage watch collector over here in Holland, and he came home with his latest snatch not too long ago. A vintage, gold-filled Omega watch. He traded it in for a modern Ebel, and is quite interested in what exactly he got himself in return. We checked out the Omega database but we couldn't really find an entry which matched his watch. We have been glancing over the forums for a while now, and thought perhaps anyone over here might help us get on the right track.

The watch has no branding other than the Omega logo itself (both in the dial plate and the case) and has several further specifications such as:
    A serial number 2902-1 SC in the cap, as well as an Omega logo and a remark that it has an 80 micron gold layer.
    On the clockwork itself it shows that it's an Ω284 caliber, 17 Jewels watch. Furthermore it has a number of which we're not quite sure what the meaning is - 15199029. I have highlighted all numbers in the added pictures, perhaps the placing of the numbers means something more. If it's any concern, the clockwork runs fine.

An overview:
    DSC05170.JPG

The inner movement, including clarifications of the numbers given:

DSC05172.JPG

The cap, again with added text to clarify the numbers if they weren't readable enough. Ignore the question mark, it was just added for drama purposes.

DSC05173.JPG

And finally the dial:
    DSC05177.JPG

Hopefully you can help us find the where and how about this watch, as we are very curious about it's origins and why it doesn't have any branding other than just the logo! Thanks in advance!

Victor Meulendijks.

2. Alpenschneerot Apr 27, 2013

Hi Victor,
    did you purchase it at "Traderbiene" on German Ebay?

3. Victorm Apr 27, 2013

Hey! We traded it at a Dutch vintage watch event called Rikketik with one of the official stand holders. It is an event held more often, once every quarter of a year, at expo center in Houten, Utrecht. I can give more details on the trade itself if you want?

4. Alpenschneerot Apr 27, 2013

Hi Victor, I know this event, but I wasn`t there.
    I often visit the events in Germany (Köln, Düsseldorf).
    For a watch purist like me, it is no easy to find there vintage watches of a certain quality.
    Be cautious, if you buy a watch at those events. The good watches have their price, the cheap ones are often "Schrott".
    Reiner

5. Victorm Apr 27, 2013

hey Reiner,

yes we know, but I think (hope) that this certain watch isn't garbage. Hopefully some people here can help us determine that !

6. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 27, 2013

Greetings from Los Angeles.

The number 15199029, is the serial number which dates your watch to about 1956, 2902 is actually the reference number or case style number. There are actually more watches NOT listed in the Omega database than are actually in it.

As with many Omega watches from this period this one is not part of any particular line, like Seamaster or Constellation.

7. MKelley Apr 27, 2013

To add to X350 XJR's info, the 284 is the caliber of the movement and the microns is the measurement of gold layers.