Forums Latest Members
  1. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 18, 2016

Chuck Maddox's site has a picture of a black dialed Mark III Speedmaster Professional. (Link to his article here).
    4.176.002ST-black-black-chuck.JPG
    The 9:00 subdial appears to be surrounded all in black, rather than black/grey to indicate night and day. The black/grey color combination appears on every other black-dialed Professional Mark III I have seen.

What are your thoughts- does Chuck's site show A) an uncommon but correct Mark III, B) a repainted Mark III, or is it C) a poor scan of a low-res image of the common black/grey dial posted to the late 1990s internet?

I lean toward C but if anyone has better pics of a black/black day/night color scheme on a Mark III I'd love to see them.

Here's the common dial layout:
    3.176.002ST.jpg

2. cvalue13 Jan 18, 2016

Leaning heavily toward C: just playing around with black/white balance on this kind of photo could easily obscure the subtle gray

Andy K likes this.
  3. Andy K Dreaming about winning an OFfie one day. Jan 19, 2016

More evidence that we're (probably) correct: This Mark III on eBayPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network. In this pic the grey is almost impossible to see:
    not vis.JPG
    In this pic it is plainly visible:
    vis.JPG
    I'm not sure whether it is due to varying effects of aging or exposure to light or if it has to do with different dial suppliers, but the prominence of the grey half of the 9:00 subdial does seem to very quite a bit on otherwise identical dials.