Forums Latest Members
  1. vanderpol6 Apr 22, 2012

Hello All,
    I just retrieved my an Omega Constellation that was my Uncle's from my Dad's old watch collection.
    I can find no matching face after a couple of hours of internet searching. It is neither pie pan nor smooth.
    Sorry for the silly photo-booth picture, I will get a picture up soon, but it has an circular insert of, I believe, Platinum for the minute marks.
    I recall him mentioning in the late 60's early seventies that it was special order ( as always with him) and it had "Platinum, it's even rarer then gold".
    [​IMG] Photo on 2012-04-22 at 06.14.jpg

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

Yea, we're really going to need better photos than that mate, if you can get a good amount of detail I have no doubt some of our more seasoned collectors could give you their thoughts on it, but it needs to be in focus and plenty of pics from all sides.

3. ulackfocus Apr 22, 2012

Push the flower button on your camera to put it in macro mode. This allows close-up focusing.

4. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

Looks like a railway dial constellation - special order dial and relatively uncommon.

5. vanderpol6 Apr 22, 2012

I knew better! So sorry but people are sleeping so I can't get to the real cameras. I will post some good pics

A) gold insert observatory with the 60's star pattern
    B) solid bar hour markers
    C) silver center omega with gold serrated rounded edge on winding stem
    D) Automatic Chronometer
    E) vertical brushed center dial
    F) Script constellation

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

So like one of these? (images take from website in watermark)

railway5.jpeg railway6.jpeg railway4.jpeg railway3.jpeg railway2.jpeg railway1.jpeg

GregH likes this.
  7. vanderpol6 Apr 22, 2012

Wow, you guys are good! Really close, not a calender, same band, same style lugs. stem is either the same or slightly thinner. gold is deep gold so I am guessing 18kt

8. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

It's either solid gold or gold capped. You can tell it is solid gold if the back is gold. If the back is in steel with a gold observatory then it is gold capped. I know that steel watch - sold years ago by a good collector friend of mine to the dealer in taiwan.
    Value wise I would say about the same as a piepan connie of the same vintage (condition being the same of course). While the railroad dial is more uncommon than the piepan dial, the piepan dial is still the more desireable style. Also stainless steel versions fetch more money than the gold cap versions again all other factors being equal. Of course the solid gold versions are the most valuable ones.

9. vanderpol6 Apr 22, 2012

Yes it is gold capped, the back of the lugs are silver. Not looking to sell it, just want wear it out occasionally and it is, imo, a brilliant piece of engineering art. You know it is a bit sad that trading markets gauge value on the raw material, not the level of workmanship or sheer talent that went into making something like these old chronometers, but again that makes it easier to enjoy and wear out! What vintage is the steel watch? If I take it to a jeweler is it ok to open the back and get the id and movement info, I am sure it has never been opened..

10. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 22, 2012

It's a constellation Ref 14381, powered by a 551 in 17 mil range. Looks original to me.

11. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

My opinion - if it is running well and is only for occasional use then don't have it opened and instead, keep it. If you don't intend to sell it then not much value to taking the risk of damaging the watch by opening it. To the collector, the fact that it is scratch and blemish free is more important than service history.

12. kyle L Grasshopper Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

13. hoipolloi Vintage Omega Connoisseur Apr 22, 2012

Hi Kyle.

The one in that link should be a 14393, powered by a 561 with date.

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

The watch is about 10 years older than your father told you. This model was one of the first to feature the cal. 551 movement and was introduced in 1959. He could be right about the "special order", as we don't see very many of these "railroad track" dials.

No platinum in this watch, although the markers are 18K gold.

Hope this helps,
    gatorcpa

15. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

The railroad dial and black dial connies were special order. That's why they are quite uncommon.

16. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Apr 22, 2012

Here's mine, CK14381, 17015208.

One cool thing about this one is that I have the original box, chronometer certificate, hang tags and sales receipt, for get this $64.50!

Another interesting thing is the bracelet, a flat link with the expandable ends, identical to the 1039 and 7912 found on the same vintage Speedmasters and SM 300s, with no reference number, just a date code of 2/61, jiving closely with the purchase date of 9/60. Not something commonly seen on a Constellation. Since the bracelet is not noted on the receipt I assume it was added shortly after purchase. It's always been my understanding that these were supplied on straps and that bracelets were sold as accessories be the dealer.

[​IMG]

Jordan m and GregH like this.
  17. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Apr 22, 2012

Everything you wrote makes perfect sense. You have a very rare complete package with a bracelet far more desireable than the normal "beads of rice" than we normally see with vintage Constellations.

You've received a fabulous heirloom,
    gatorcpa

18. vanderpol6 Apr 22, 2012

finally had a chance to take some pics, still not brilliant.. con6.jpg cons2.jpg con 3.jpg

constellation.jpg con 4.jpg
  19. MSNWatch Vintage Omega Aficionado Staff Member Apr 23, 2012

I think we get a good idea about the watch - wear it in good health! Finding a connie in nice shape with that dial style is getting harder and harder to find! I don't have one in my collection and to this day regret passing on a nice example a couple of years ago.

20. vanderpol6 May 1, 2012

Did something really stupid and cracked the crystal; watch is fine but need a new crystal, can someone tell me the correct number for this watch
    Lou