Forums Latest Members

Ultrasonic Cleaner Question

1. TheCaptainOfTech Jan 15, 2018

I recently purchased an Ultrasonic Cleaner to clean some watch bracelets and glasses but had a question regarding the bracelets. When cleaning the brackets I have been debateing on removing each link and cleaning the tubes and links separately, thus disassembling the bracelet. I just wanted to see if any other members do this as well or just putting the bracelet in as a whole does the job fine.

2. 77deluxe Jan 15, 2018

I think you’d get better results if you disassembled everything to allow for trapped dirt to escape.

3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jan 15, 2018

To be honest, I don't understand why some people feel the need to have a sparkling clean bracelet, unless they plan on selling it.

4. TheCaptainOfTech Jan 15, 2018

I was a bit concerned when I was taking a link out and noticed some dirt and grese buildup and wanted to clean it up. Plus I got a lot of spare time right now so better to keep busy cleaning rather than trying something completely insane.

5. redpcar Jan 15, 2018

You plan to completely disassemble a bracelet to clean? I take off the easy stuff and then clean it in 4 different positions (resting on top, bottom, side, side), rinse and repeat if necessary. In my mind, gravity will take out the debris shaken loose by the ultrasonic hammer ;)

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 15, 2018

Why, well first because wearing a dirty bracelet is gross...

But even if you don't mind wearing a gross/dirty bracelet, regular cleaning helps prevent worn pins, like this:

[​IMG]

Worn tubes, like this:

[​IMG]

And worn links, like this:

[​IMG]

And preventing all the wear prevents a bracelet failure, which is why this watch ended up on my bench:

[​IMG]

Stopped running after it fell off and hit the ground.

But other than all that, there's no reason at all to regularly clean your bracelets...

Cheers, Al

7. tyrantlizardrex Jan 15, 2018

Would you suggest just removing them from the watch, and putting them in the cleaner, rather than trying to take the bracelets any further apart @Archer? :)

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 15, 2018

Yes, remove the bracelet from the watch certainly. Taking it apart - well that seems like a lot for a routine cleaning, but if it's bad enough it would be warranted.

Looneytoons and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  9. Davidt Jan 15, 2018

I tend to take mine off the watch, plonk them in the ultrasonic for about ten mins, then turn it off and leave it to soak for a few hours before turning it on again for several 5-10 minute spins.

I also use a diluted jewellery cleaning solution in the bath.

Works a treat.

Archer likes this.
  10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jan 15, 2018

^^^ Soaking works well - I use filtered water and Mr. Clean in my tank. You don't really need fancy cleaners for this. Also make sure to give the bracelet a good rinse after in clean water - I do it under a running tap.

Cheers, Al

bovecHD and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  11. redpcar Jan 15, 2018

I use a mild dish soap (Dawn). 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip, 2 minutes, flip. Rinse. Inspect. Repeat if necessary.