Forums Latest Members

Ultrasonic Cleaner Question

1. mzinski Feb 25, 2020

Not sure how to preface this question aside from pure curiosity so I’ll just jump right in:
    Can you stick your hand in an ultrasonic cleaning bath while it’s actively ultrasonic-ing? More precisely, will there be any effect on your hand, good or bad (melting, burning, exploding, getting really clean, etc)?
    Thanks!

2. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 25, 2020

Hugely tempting to launch into a fictional dire warning, but I think you should be fine, though anything on your hands will then be on the cleaning solution so it may need to be replaced.

mzinski likes this.
  3. Dan S Feb 25, 2020

Please post a video. :D

4. Canuck Feb 25, 2020

Ultrasonics can kill nerves in your fingers. The ultrasonic waves cause cavitation (microscopic eruptions) which creates heat. A quick in and out (there’s an analogy here :D ) is not likely to cause a problem, unless you make a habit of it. Why risk it?

5. ExpiredWatchdog Feb 25, 2020

I've read that the damage is cumulative. Though I've done it, I try my best not to.

mzinski likes this.
  6. Vercingetorix Spam Risk Feb 25, 2020

Ultrasonics cause cancer, just like windmills.:mad:

Wivac, marco and mzinski like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 25, 2020

Can the Hands Be Immersed in the Ultrasonic Cleaning Solution While the Cleaning Process Is Ongoing ?
    00C7A5F2-B6F7-4A2A-9C7B-172BA4B7A1DD.jpeg
    Immersing the hands in the cleaning bath during the cleaning process is not advisable. When an ultrasonic cleaning process is ongoing, ultrasonic power produces ultrasonic waves that act on the cleaning solution to create cavitation bubbles. The implosions of these bubbles are intense and produce powerful energy. The implosions can cause skin irritations while the energy from implosions can harm the tissues of the joints. Rheumatic diseases can develop when joint tissues are harmed.

mzinski likes this.
  8. mzinski Feb 25, 2020

Fascinating! I’ve suspected it does something bad to you.
    Risk it? No, I’ve never had an intent to stick my hand in there. But I’ve been curious what it would do to someone. (But not curious enough to stick my hand in to find out)

9. mzinski Feb 25, 2020

Wow!
    Well this thread has turned into a great PSA - hopefully no one will stick their hands in now!

10. shaun hk Fairy nuffer Feb 26, 2020

I am kind of annoyed, when I bought one of these there were no warnings at all, though I have not put my hands in it anyway

mzinski likes this.
  11. Canuck Feb 26, 2020

Did you not read the user’s guide that should have come with the US machine? Or was there no manual with it?

mzinski likes this.
  12. simonsays Feb 26, 2020

All of the dire warnings sound like BS to me. Any verified scientific data to back any of this up? Ultrasonic waves are used as a safe way to scan body tissue, so no danger there.
    The cleaning solution maybe toxic though.

If you wear a tin foil hat, safety is guaranteed

janice&fred, Motik and mzinski like this.
  13. Canuck Feb 26, 2020

To the OP. Check around before you follow the advice given here. A quick Google search on the topic of damage to tissue from these machines will give you all the cautionary warnings you need. Ignore these warnings at your peril.

mzinski likes this.
  14. redpcar Feb 26, 2020

People use water in ultrasonic baths to remove flesh from the bone. This conversation is just silly.

Joe_A and mzinski like this.
  15. simonsays Feb 26, 2020

Better google 5G, Vaccinations, and the moon landings as well! The internet is not fact checked.

I guarantee it will not remove your flesh from the bone with in much less time than an ordinary bath or shower.

janice&fred and mzinski like this.
  16. Wryfox Feb 26, 2020

Ditto...BUT..what matters is the energy...years ago I was an engineer for a company that made industrial ultrasonic cleaners. So powerful you had to have the lid down in order to operate because the sound alone was terrifying. Definitely would strip flesh from bone. In fact we did so as a test with a large ham. Utterly destroyed in a few seconds.

But I also have a Harbor Freight desktop quart size unit for cleaning bike/gun parts that I put my hand in all the time.

Its like laser pointers vs military anti-missile lasers. The energy matters.

Edited Feb 26, 2020
    Motik and mzinski like this.
  17. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m Feb 26, 2020

Thanks, laughed out loud at this!

Remember to remove the foil hat before drying your hair in the microwave.

Motik, mzinski, pascs and 1 other person like this.
  18. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2020

Does it feel like you are on fire when they scan your body for imaging purposes? If not, then this is definitely not the same thing mate...

I don't stick my hands in for one reason - it's painful. For me that's enough, so I don't need "scientific data" of long or short term damage, as my body is telling me pretty clearly it's not good. If you want to stick your hands in one, be my guest.

p4ul, mzinski and redpcar like this.
  19. simonsays Feb 26, 2020

As has been said there is a difference in power intensity for different uses. I don’t know what your running but usually for Jewellery the heated water or cleaning solution would be the most aggressive agents. The home use ultrasonic cleaners are very tame, and even suitable for children.

http://www.howtospotapsychopath.com/2006/10/13/ultrasonic-baby-cleaning/

Motik likes this.
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 26, 2020

Oh...now we are only talking about "home use" machines apparently.

If you want to take your advice from a blog called "how to spot a psychopath" where he puts the hand of an infant into an ultrasonic cleaner, that's your choice. I know for a fact mine would not be safe to do such a thing, as it's very painful to put you hand in the solution when it's running. Not because of the solution - that's just water with a little bit of Mr. Clean added...but because of the cavitation.

If you want real life data on this, come on over and stick your hand in my ultrasonic...I guarantee you won't keep it in there for very long.