Forums Latest Members
  1. Paul01 Aug 6, 2015

Hi Guys and galls

Not sure if I'm breaking any forum rules in this post Mods feel free to delete if necessary.

If you've read any of my previous posts you will know I have recently purchased an Omega PO GMT.
    After a lot of posts, phone calls, discussions, E mails visits to ADs. I eventually made the decision to purchase via a "Grey Market" proxy purchase. I chose Iconic Watches.

Obviously not a decision taken lightly and heres my random observations.

Shopping at an AD: I frankly hated it, in one I was barley served and the staff discourteous, in others they knew very very little about the watch details Movement specifications etc. I just kept getting "James Bond" rammed down my throat constantly (although a GMT has never been used on screen or by I Flemming AFAIK) . Also Very tough to organise a deal with despite having pound notes ready to spend. It was all Sell Sell Sell and I just don't work with that at all.
    The online review for after sales were nothing short of shocking and far to many to be random occurrences and from an AD of a high end brand that's not good to a prospective buyer.

When I first spoke to the guys at Iconic I was honest and upfront in my apprehensions about them.
    Without trying to back themselves up in anyway they were open in the way they worked answered my qustions on everything from import duty, Authenticity, Matching visible S\Ns, will the paperwork be stamped by an AD, if needed could I return to Omega or an AD (god forbid).
    I went away thought some more validated these claims on other forums and also seeing what Iconics feedback was like on the forums before making further calls to Iconic.
    When I ordered they told me it would take a couple of weeks to get in stock and then next day delivery. Their timing was bang on correct and I never had an issue with it having looked for so long anyway.

So a better buying experience at a much better price.
    Would I preferred to use an AD possibly, but TBH If they wont work with me why should I work with them.

Any thoughts
    P

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Aug 6, 2015

Two thoughts..

1) When someone barley serves me, I prefer that it is malted, and offered in the form of an aged single malt Scotch whiskey.

2). Where the heck are the pictures of the watch??!!

danomar likes this.
  3. Tempusfugitus Aug 7, 2015

Same experience here with Iconic. Got a very good price on a new Speedmaster Pro which they had in stock. Papers show it came from an AD in Zagreb. Excellent experience throughout - pre and post sales personal communications, knowledgeable, straight forward. Great from start to finish.

Edited Aug 8, 2015
  4. VicLeChic Aug 7, 2015

My experience with an Omega AD at Heathrow was absolutely fantastic, back in 2005 when I bought my first Omega, a Planet Ocean. I could bargain the price and managed to score a croc strap with deployment clasp thrown in for free (worth 300 quid at the time), on top of the S/S bracelet They sent someone to my house to install the strap once they had the clasp in stock. Very satisfied with them. I never had such a great treatment with any other brand. They really made me feel special.

When I bought my first Rolex, I was left with no other choice than going down the import road (I don't call it grey because it's legal import within the EU in accordance with EU tax law). My local AD did offer some discount, but not big enough and no extras. Had they made a little effort I would have bought from the AD, for peace of mind.

5. gee_cee Aug 9, 2015

I found Iconic's communication to be adequate rarther than excellent when I bought from them earlier this year, but they were able to source a watch which none of the Omega ADs could, and at a saving too.

6. Caller Aug 9, 2015

Good to hear good things about Iconic as I've just ordered an Omega via them as well. It's being sourced from an AD other than in the UK and I'm hoping to hear they have it in stock any time now. To be honest, I've not heard anything bad about them and my experience so far has been good.

7. Dombo63 Aug 9, 2015

Good to hear of positive experience with them. I am veering towards getting a new Moonwatch rather than vintage, and tending towards the grey dealers. Recent experience in an AD was ok, got offered a 10% discount straight off the bat, but a boutique was amusing to say the least:
    very charming sales person showed me a sapphire caseback version as I wanted to check it for size on my relatively thin wrist. She told me they only come in sapphire backs now which seemed a staggering bit of ignorance given how better informed even a numpty like me has become thanks to this and other fora.
    The watch looked a good fit to me but she of course oohed and ahhed over how great it looked, suited me perfectly, blah blah. Best bit was when she said she could really see me with a manual winding watch (which I love the idea of) as I looked the type. This got a massively raised eyebrow as I pointed out that I hadn't wound my automatic Tag in 23 years and before that had a basic Swatch. Still, not often I get fawned over by an attractive 20-something:)

OrangeSport likes this.
  8. alam Aug 9, 2015

There are the good, the bad and the mediocre in every group. Glad the grey market route worked out for you :thumbsup: This option has turned out to be a good alternative for me as well.

Famous quotes...

"we can't think without pictures..."

"no pictures, it never happened..."

:coffee:

9. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 9, 2015

For the Record Grey Market is Legal, just no franchised. Black Market is not. "Fell from the truck" Market is funny and also illegal.

I really don't know why some people are allergic to Grey dealers i have had good experiences with them. One watch I sold from a grey dealer recently was sent for service (regulation) under the warranty and the new owner was very very happy with the service they gave him (authentic watches) Yes, I payed 20 bucks to transfer the warranty to the new owner but he really took full advantage of it and got a great watch, at a great price and fully serviced with no hassle and in great time.

Most of the gray market watches I have got have come from AD's through the Gray dealer. same watch, perfectly new, 25% less. and yes, LEGAL

Serge likes this.
  10. VicLeChic Aug 13, 2015

Did you pay VAT or customs duty on your grey market watches? If not, would you say it's 100% legal not to pay tax? If you did pay tax one way or another, ignore my comment.

11. Caller Aug 13, 2015

Well my watch purchased from Omega was today delivered to the UK address I stipulated. Just a shame that as I live in Thailand, it'll be about 5-weeks before I get to collect it when I head back to the UK for a short trip. But all my dealings with the company about this purchase have been very satisfactory. Very happy. Hope I'm as happy with the watch!

12. bugwriter Aug 13, 2015

A month ago, I ordered a brand new Omega SMP chronograph from Jomashop.com. I paid $3900 (retail is $6000) with free shipping and no tax. Jomashop was not rude or pushy over the phone, but they are not the friendliest people either. The watch included a 4 year warranty through Jomashop.

The watch arrived without a single scratch on it. However, there was no warranty card (expected) and the card wallet has a big permanent red scuff mark on it where it had been rubbing against the pleather box. It did have the tag and pictogram card and was packaged nicely.

I realize that I probably could have purchased the watch from an AD for $4500-$5000, but the extra $500 of local sales tax was a deal breaker. I pay too much tax already.

I would purchase from Jomashop again.

145294-0cd222b2fa5553f44832d04df0b6610d.jpg

SamQue and OrangeSport like this.
  13. wsfarrell Aug 13, 2015

I'm still surprised that Amazon is the only big internet vendor that collects taxes. $500 will buy a decent vintage Seamaster.

14. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Aug 13, 2015

Us law is different. You pay tax if the dealer, grey white black or pink is in your state or has a dealership in your state. Otherwise you don't. So yes, I paid tax with one of them....then I looked for out of state ones

15. OmegaSean Aug 13, 2015

Hi Paul01,
    Great that your purchase was successful after our discussion on other threads about buying from an AD vrs Grey. Did you ever post any pictures ?
    I must agree with some points but not with others, the Earnest Jones and Goldsmiths dealers were as you say not particularly helpful and discounts were small. The independent AD's were far more personal & after a short relationship much better discounts were offered and I paid a small amount more £374. This is from iconic web site and is a true reflection of what you are buying although to you a new watch it is a second hand watch and this is why the discount is possible as long as consumers are aware of this then everyone's happy but as with everything if selling at a later date to a UK seller would you buy a watch that came from Zargreb or a UK dealer ?
    OmegaSean

16. OmegaSean Aug 13, 2015

[​IMG]
    See the part unworn watches clearly states they are not new
    OmegaSean

17. chunkythebulldog Aug 14, 2015

I've bought a couple of watches from Churchill and Wolff. They are all what I would class as new watches. They act as a watch broker appointed by myself to source a specific watch. Just because they buy the watch then sell it on to me, that, in my opinion doesn't make it second hand.
    Always had excellent service, good communication and the watches have always been supplied with full paperwork, stamped warranty card by an AD, box etc etc.
    I've also moved Grey market watches on and have sold a couple to Watchfinder who are the largest 2nd hand watch supplier in the UK. All these people who say I'll never buy a Grey market watch need to be careful because a lot of second hand watches are Grey.

18. Glenn Aug 15, 2015

My opinion is that if you buy from an AD via a broker then the watch isn't "Grey Market". All cards are supplied and stamped with full guarantee so why not let someone else do the job of sourcing the AD that will give the best price?

chunkythebulldog likes this.
  19. OrangeSport Aug 15, 2015

Intersting, I've considered Iconic and keep an eye on their website. My latest purchase was a Rolex OP, and I did consider using them. As it happens, the full on AD experience I got from the Rolex Boutique kept me there. I spent a good hour and a half in there with no pressure. Had a free choice of watches to try on, my wife and I were kept topped up with champagne and I could take watches out in the street to see them in daylight.

We talked lots, including details about the town we were visiting and were to go for dinner and drinks. All in all the opposite of your experience, and we got a decent bottle of bubbly thrown in to take back to our hotel.

That experience, which I've had from a few ADs now (including one for Omega) is a real feel good factor for me, and part of the ownership of nice watches. I don't mind paying a few extra quid for that at all. But, if I'm not getting that I would be very happy to try the watch at an AD then order from Iconic in the future.

For Omega I would really recommend CS Bedford. I've had great prices and superb service from there.

20. Jaime410 Jul 26, 2016

Has anyone bought from Iconic Watches and have the watch shipped to the USA, specifically Dallas, TX? I am new to the luxury watch market and have been thinking about purchasing a Rolex Milgauss via iconic watches since they offer manufacturer warranty and watch has a really good discount when compared to any AD price but, I am bit wary about import duty and taxes. You see I don't want to be paying almost the same price as in the AD just because of these taxes.