Forums Latest Members

Uk Auction house Passing off Asian crap as "legitimate copies"

1. tyrantlizardrex Nov 10, 2016

https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/...0056/lot-e8f994fd-b52a-4d5f-9819-a6b200e096a2

I'm sure we've all seen these things doing the rounds... normally £5-£10 in a market near you.

Jacobs and Hunt have one in an upcoming auction, so I emailed them to advise that they were selling something that is in no way legitimate, to which they responded:

"That is why we have called it Omega style."

"We are selling it as a copy which is not illegal. Obviously please don't bid."

"It is just a copy as catalogued. We are not trying to sell it as anything else. "

What's to be done when an auction house is fully aware that they have accepted a copy/fake/replica, and are still intent on selling it?

On a personal note, the people who produce and sell fakes of anything should be strung up by their unmentionables...

Screen Shot 2016-11-10 at 10.34.05.png

2. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 10, 2016

You could mention that you will send the listing to the proper authorities. I would suspect that sales of counterfeit brand-name merchandise is illegal in the U.K., or at least subject to civil liability.
    gatorcpa

3. tyrantlizardrex Nov 10, 2016

I think you're right - I have a feeling that this is still illegal to sell...

So Trading Standards, and the local police force maybe?

4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Nov 10, 2016

tyrantlizardrex likes this.
  5. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Nov 10, 2016

The seller may be subject to criminal sanctions for breaching Trade Marks Act 1994 and/or Copyright, Designs & Patents Act 1988.

I'm surprised any reputable auctioneer would risk it.

Foo2rama and tyrantlizardrex like this.
  6. Pvt-Public Nov 10, 2016

7. tyrantlizardrex Nov 10, 2016

8. Edward53 Nov 10, 2016

If my experience of Trading Standards is anything to go by they are absolutely useless. When I lived in East London a tyre dealer was selling tyres restricted to low speeds, for agricultural vehicles only, as regular part-worn tyres. It's hard to imagine many things more potentially dangerous and I reported them. What action TS took I don't know, but a year or two later they were still selling them. EDIT: Remembering more detail - they sounded like they were taking it very seriously and said they'd go and buy one to prove a case. That was the last I heard of it.

9. ulackfocus Nov 10, 2016

For starters, reply to their (unbelievable) answer with a link to this thread. Let them know the watch collecting community is exposing them, and that you're asking for options on how to stop them from selling that bastard concoction.

nurseford25 likes this.
  10. Tubber Nov 10, 2016

Trading Standards and Plod will definitely be a good start. They won't do bugger all. If you want results Esther Rantzen and "That's Life" will be your best bet. With the best will in the world nobody seems to give a Monkeys nowadays.

11. kkt Nov 10, 2016

Send to Omega's legal department. It's their trademark and they should be interested in enforcing it.

12. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Nov 10, 2016

As other have stated, how can they not understand the legal implications of offering this. I've got a sinking feeling that if it said Rolex on a watch they would not touch it. It's a one to one analogy.

wsfarrell likes this.
  13. prontoprint Nov 10, 2016

You mean like this lot in UK auction recently

Replica watches.png

14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Nov 10, 2016

I think this is an "apples to oranges" comparison. Your tire dealer was still selling used, legitimate brand name tires. They were simply unsuitable for the use for which they were being advertised.

There is nothing legitimate about that particular watch. You would think that Omega would have interest in this, but big companies frequently file this sort of thing under minor nuisances, and just let them go.
    gatorcpa

15. Edward53 Nov 10, 2016

Anyone buying anything high-end vintage or antique at auction who relies on the auctioneer's description is living in dreamland. If you know anything about the subject (in my case, a little about watches and a bit more about arms and armour) you very quickly learn that it's caveat emptor all the way. The same thing applies to fine furniture, art, etc. Taking anything on trust that your own observations don't back up usually ends in tears. EDIT: Oops, I seem to have gone a bit off topic here...

The seller was still offering the tyres as suitable for road vehicles and thus still putting people's lives at risk. That comes under the Trading Standards remit and they failed in their duty to stop it.

Edited Nov 10, 2016
  16. Perseus Nov 10, 2016

"We are selling it as a copy which is not illegal. Obviously please don't bid."

Uh...that's not how it works.

[​IMG]

17. ncstate1201 Nov 10, 2016

Ooof well doing that and then seeing it on the forums well there goes part of their bidders now and in the future bad mistake. If I had dealt with them at all I would give them a heads up in case they were unaware and may harm future business. I have found being an auction house doesn't always make you an expert.