Forums Latest Members

UG Polerouter: È/E isotope - a brief and unscientific survey

1. Severin Jun 28, 2017

Interesting question. Would you happen to have a photo of it where the hands are not obscuring the word "microtor" and that is taken from directly above the dial (e.g. Not at an angle to it). On the angle aspect, I'd be curious to see whether the perspective of the photo is colouring our interpretation of the upper text. Also, might be useful for getting a better sense of the size relativity of the upper and lower texts. Thank you!

Edit: p.s. The examples shown in the following thread are, on balance, probably a better comparison set:https://omegaforums.net/threads/pol...-a-brief-survey-with-some-observations.35888/

Also, in case it helps, it's not unheard of for the Cal. 215's to at times have only the term "Microtor" rather than the fuller expression "Automatic Microtor".

Edited Jun 28, 2017
  2. Zharko Jun 28, 2017

IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1808.JPG IMG_1811.PNG IMG_1803.JPG IMG_1808.JPG Here we are. Taken through the loup.

3. Zharko Jun 28, 2017

To me the accent on the second e of Geneve actually looks acute, which would signify a non francophone dialmaker with a poor eye for detail. But the variations on all the dials I've seen on this thread maybe don't make this dial as "dodgy" as it might seem.

4. Adam2941 Jun 29, 2017

A sharper photo, and possibly an in-person examination with a loupe, would be needed to resolve the mystery of the dial. It is true that the P and the cross hair splitting the o are unusual, but the dial itself actually looks original to me. There were a lot of minor variations in these dials, since different dial makers were used. The lume dots are definitely not original though, and all three hands are replacements, probably non-UG. As ConElPueblo notes, the hand should have lume if the dial has lume, and in any case the hands are not shaped like Polerouter hands. It is still a nice watch, though!

5. Adam2941 Jun 29, 2017

Oh, I did not see those detail photos. They were hidden from my view. Clearly the accent over the second E in Geneve goes the wrong way, and so this must be a redial. A very good redial, but a redial.

6. Severin Jun 29, 2017

Sadly, I'm a bit occupied with work so I haven't had much time to look at this in detail ( although it's been on my mind a lot). I oscillate on it depending on the day. I think the tables at the following post might be a useful reference for considering this one. https://omegaforums.net/threads/pol...-a-brief-survey-with-some-observations.35888/

I'll get back to this as soon as I can, perhaps this weekend. In the meantime, a few quick points for consideration. Note the term Swiss is above the lume plot rather than snug to the chapter ring - not common in 215 non-dates. The crosshair thru the o of microtor doesn't raise alarms on its own: there is diversity in execution that can be seen even from the small sample set in the link above. I haven't seen an example that intersects the o quite so centrally, but I wouldn't claim that, on its own, it is necessarily a sign of touch up.
    What baffles me most is the angle and execution of some of the upper text and of course, the accent aigu. I'm still openmindedd on this one (aside from the lume, which I agree with previous commenters on) and reserve the right to change my mind; that said, I am currently leaning towards it being a very well done touch-up, if only partial. More later, once I've had some time to consider this in greater detail. Thanks for such an intriguing specimen!

Edit: p.s are you able to confirm this is actually a 215? Thank you.

7. Zharko Jun 29, 2017

IMG_1817.PNG Here we are. Never opened a Polerouter before - slightly tricky. The monement is a 215 and it has a 60 hour power reserve (just stopped this evening after being started on Tuesday morning). Is the jewel count standard?

Thank you Severin and Adam2941 for your observations. Pity about the hands, I really thought they were stock. I overpaid in that case, caveat emptor.

Ben