Forums Latest Members
  1. brunos Mar 24, 2016

All,

I recently brought in a UG bumper automatic with cal 138.
    While the watch is fine I can only adjust the time moving the hands backward in time, which seems odd to me.
    Does anyone have any explanation for this? Is it normal? is there anything wrong? if so do you have any suggestion on how to fix it?
    Also it seems to run slow (about 1-2 min per day). Can anything be done about it?

I am attaching a pic of the actual watch.

Thanks
    Bruno

IMG_2838.jpg

2. dx009 Mar 24, 2016

While I can't help about time adjusting, if a watch is off by 1-2 minutes it can simply be regulated (adjusted) preferably by a professional.

He'll just turn a lever (or two) that are located somewhere inside the movement and that should improve the accuracy of the watch. But it will never be off by a second or two given the age of the movement and the technology.

Although for such an old movement, it's possible that some servicing might be required, like having it oiled...

Edited Mar 24, 2016
  3. brunos Mar 24, 2016

Thank you for your reply.
    The watch is oiled and cleaned (the pic was taken prior to cleaning). do you know whether there is a manual for servicing such movement?
    Thanks

4. Hijak Mar 24, 2016

I have a UG Polerouter with the 138SS bumper movement that was recently servced and it is accurate to a few seconds a day. Your watch should be able to adjust the time in either direction...with all you have said it sounds like your watch is in need of a full service. And this is something best left to the professionals!

image.jpeg

ELV web and Northernman like this.
  5. brunos Mar 24, 2016

so difficult to find a professional these days... I live in Pittsburgh, PA

6. dx009 Mar 24, 2016

Who did the cleaning and oiling ? When it's taken to a watchshop they should have also regulated the movement for you...

7. brunos Mar 24, 2016

I brought it to a person with good reputation, but I guess only for basic stuff. feel free to send suggestions

8. dx009 Mar 24, 2016

I'll do some explaining, but overall it might be better to let someone else do this. But you can try if you really want to but you can easily damage parts of the watch.

Some watches will have a part A but yours, I think, doesn't. For 1-2 minutes, you would need to move part B towards part A if it GAINS minutes (i.e.+2 minutes/24h), and opposite to A if it LOSES (i.e. -2 minutes/24h) minutes per day. But only slightly. Like 1 millimeter or so at most. Part C is a fine tuning of part B, you move that around if the watch is off by a few seconds, not minutes. Normally this is done with a vibrograph or various other gadgets or computers. Without these, it's a little harder and it requires you to wait hours to see whether it works or not. You can also time 1 minute and see if it does 1 minute in 60 seconds or less. Since yours is off by 1-2 minutes it should do 1 minute in 59 seconds and 80 or so milliseconds.

In case you're wondering what part A does, it balances the rhythm of the hairspring and it's circle weight thing that I don't know what it's named. If you've noticed the hair spring moves once clockwise, once anti-clockwise. As you probably assume, the best way is for both rotations to be equal. Part A controls that evenness.

Just take it to a professional and have it regulated. It shouldn't take long or cost much.

138_ss-1.jpg

Edited Mar 24, 2016
  9. brunos Mar 24, 2016

Thanks, that is useful. I will probably look for a pro in the area (if I can find one) to get this done.
    As for the other problem, I noticed that with the crown pulled out to adjust time if I move the crown clockwise it adjusts time backward (first time I see it) and counterclockwise the crown unscrews and comes out.

10. dx009 Mar 24, 2016

Hmm, I have a feeling that, maybe, something on the inside that connects the crown stem to the movement sprockets that turn the hands might be reversed. Not sure if such thing is possible. But sounds like it...

11. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 24, 2016

Nothing is reversible in there.
    Something is not right? It's worth a little?
    Get it serviced!
    Post or search for recommendations for watchmakers in your area.
    PA? Should be a few. East Coast? Surely!
    Do not try to fix this yourself if you need to ask. And do not leave it in the hands of a general battery replacement expert. These vintage movements require skills. Skills obtained through proper education and practice.

Syrte likes this.
  12. Northernman Lemaniac Mar 24, 2016

Crown is not secured to the stem. Quite common.
    Get a proper watchmaker to look at it for you.

Severin likes this.
  13. brunos Mar 24, 2016

I agree. I Learned my lesson hopefully without damage to the watch, just wasted some
    Money. I could send the watch to rgm. What do you think?

14. Diabolik Mar 25, 2016

Crown not secured to stem is spot on. You would be able to go anticlockwise (screw tightens) but not clockwise. Removing stem is very easy. Pusher (visible next to stem on your image under the letter E in Universal) is held down with very small screw driver and stem should pull out. Tighten crown to stem and push back in.

If that is OK then it could be a number of other things.

The clutch wheel and setting lever sound ok as it would not work at all if there was something wrong there.

An intuitive stab in the dark would indicate that the dial washer was not replaced at service (so there is play between hour wheel and dial) or that the dial may have come loose so that the hour wheel disengages when attempting to turn it. Not sure why it would only happen when you try and go in one direction, perhaps it is down to its position on the plate.

Not a big deal and I cannot see it being a problem to put right, however, it will require dis-assembly.
    :)

Edited Mar 25, 2016
    Severin likes this.
  15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 25, 2016

I could send the watch to rgm. What do you think?
    RGM is a very reputable restoration service. I doubt there is anything they could not put right. [email protected] attn Vikki.

16. brunos Mar 26, 2016

Thank you all for your help. If you are curious I will post once the watch is fixed to let you all know what it is was.

Cheers
    Bruno

17. Diabolik Mar 27, 2016

Please do. Always interested.

18. Kwijibo Apr 20, 2016

Hi brunos,
    For the hands it's probably a cannon pinion tightening problem. I guess you can't even move the crown in this direction? For the slow working it needs servicing. adjusting a wathc if it's not clean is useless and there are real risk of damaging some part on the long term.

cheers