Forums Latest Members

Two vintage Seamasters - ID without opening, and service options?

1. docsmitty Jan 3, 2014

[​IMG]

I've just inherited some older watches, and two of them are older Omega Seamaster automatics. The bracelets are clearly non-Omega replacements, but I believe the watch heads themselves are authentic. However, I have not opened them myself to verify serial/case numbers.

Both crowns are marked with the Omega symbol, and the case backs have indentations for case wrenches. Both case backs have the seahorse logo with Seamaster above the image. The DeVille says Waterproof below the image, while the other watch simply has the Omega symbol under the image. I could not find any other identifying marks on the case itself.

Both automatic movements are still running, but likely need servicing at this point.

So, can anyone tell me more about these watches (and hopefully verify the authenticity) without opening them? Where would be the best place to have them serviced? If the suggestion is a local watch repair shop, I'd take suggestions local to the SF Bay Area.

I'd tried posting over on WUS but haven't had a response.. hoping for more luck here!

Thanks!

The DeVille First...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And now the other Seamaster...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 3, 2014

The SM DE VILLE is an ultra thin with either a caliber 710 17-jewels or 711 24-jewels, mid 1960s-70s.

Seamaster early 60s-mid 60s, likely caliber 550 17-jewels or 552 24-jewels.

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2014

Have them serviced by a good independent watchmaker, not someone necessarily tied to a shop, but more someone who's an old school watchmaker, running his own shop, with grey hair. They'll be good wearable watches after that really, I'd dump those bracelets and try some Hadley Roma straps.

4. docsmitty Jan 3, 2014

Thank you for the quick ID, XJR.. are these fairly common models, or is there no way to know without looking at the movement?

dsio, I've gotten a couple of suggestions for local watchmakers in the SF Bay Area for another watch I was investigating, so I'll be sure to take these along as well. I'm much more into bracelets than leather straps (I am familiar with the Hadley Roma website though), would you have any suggestions on bracelet replacements?

Thanks!

5. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 3, 2014

Omega OEM beads of rice bracelets are the nicest to wear, and look great, they're genuine Omega, I'm just not sure whether the ultra-thin lugs fit BoR endlinks.

6. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Jan 4, 2014

I believe both are relatively common models. Especially with silver dial.

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 4, 2014

While not rare, the ultra thins are considerably less common that their counterparts with 55x and 56x movements.

The Seamaster is in an interesting case with faceted lugs, again not rare but less often seen than other references from the same period.

Once you have verified the reference numbers (inside the case backs) for the watches, the DE VILLE looks like a 165.007, you can then see if end-pieces are available to fit the cases. Omega bracelets, like the bead of rice are the same from watch to watch, just the end-pieces are different.

Both pieces appear to be nice original examples.