Forums Latest Members
  1. archwatches Sep 1, 2017

Hello guys,

I'm looking to buy an automatic 18K Omega Seamaster De Ville from the 60's. I have found two of them online, with a very big difference in price.

First the expensive one:

This one is from a jeweler in Amsterdam, I live in Amsterdam and I have seen the watch. It looks good to me IRL but I don't have the expertise to see if it's worth its price. It has a 565 caliber. The glass on the front has been replaced and it has been serviced.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The price is 1350 euro's. I'm willing to pay a bit more because I can buy it in the store without shipping etc.

Second one is from ebay. It is with box and buy now price is 730 euro's. It has a 562 caliber movement. Link : http://www.ebay.nl/itm/Gents-Vintag...942132?hash=item48a1b99fb4:g:L~0AAOSwFjlZqVYRPurchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Which do you advise? Or none of the above?

2. cristos71 Sep 1, 2017

The second one is awful, just a very tired looking watch with a wrong crown, dial damage and a very dirty and worn looking movement. Ref 162.002...is that even a SM De Ville? Big Pass

The first one looks better cosmetically, and is reasonably presentable, but it also has a mis-matched crown, and trust me, you can take their "serviced" claims with a pinch of salt! I've bought from them before and no way were the watches serviced.

I'd also pass, you can find better in the same price category

3. tdn-dk Sep 1, 2017

The first one is a franken watch. Seamaster De Ville has an Uni shell case (front loader). It is a Seamaster or Geneve with a Seamaster De Ville dial.

4. archwatches Sep 2, 2017

Thank you very much, I have decided not to buy these ones because I want a original one. According to the Omega Vintage database it seems there were 18K gold Seamaster De Ville's but not with 'De Ville' on the dial. (pic from the database : [​IMG] Is this correct? Should I only look at 18K Seamasters and not Seamaster De Villes? I like the adding of the 'De Ville' on the dial.

5. Edward53 Sep 2, 2017

Not everything in the Omega database is correct. This 18k one is mine and it comes with box and papers. It is 100% genuine and original.

IMG_4028.JPG

6. archwatches Sep 3, 2017

Absolute beautiful watch. Could you tell me what ref this is?

I have found a gold plated/capped Seamaster De Ville from a private seller. As it's missing the 'automatic' on the bezel I think it's a handwinder but I'm waiting to find out the caliber and more photographs. What are your thoughts on this one?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Sep 3, 2017

Crown is a replacement.

Edited Sep 3, 2017
  8. Edward53 Sep 3, 2017

I've never had it serviced or even opened it as that is beyond my skills, but the hallmark on both watch and bracelet is a crown and 18 so I think it must be a British, probably Dennison, case. Omega certainly also had their own cases made (Google Seamaster de Ville 18k and you will see what I mean) but for some reason the dbase is incomplete as it doesn't mention them.

9. archwatches Sep 4, 2017

Other than a replaced crown, would it be a good buy for 600 euros? Caseback seems polished, right?