Forums Latest Members
  1. Cosd Apr 4, 2017

Looking at upgrading the sound on a flat TV which is really poor.
    Though its a 65" tv it's not a cinema room so want something which is unobtrusive as possible. I prefer not to go down the sound bar route.

It needs to run preferably off the tv, but in worse case direct off the Sky box

I'm looking at a set of these;

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products...virtually-invisible-191-in-wall-speakers.html

I like the look of these but would need to get amplification which I would need to hide somewhere.

Can anyone recommend something similar or a small amplifier which i could hide in a wall void

2. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2017

Tv soundbars are actually really good now, and can fill a room impressively while piggybacking off the TV and fitting in seemlessly.

Foo2rama likes this.
  3. Cosd Apr 4, 2017

Yes, fully agree.
    It's just that i don't want anything to protrude on the wall.

4. yinzerniner Apr 4, 2017

First off, never buy Bose home audio equipment. Simply rubbish overall build and sound quality, and your dollar/euro/pound/bitcoin goes a lot further elsewhere. Paradigm, Klipsch, Def Tech, Polk, etc are all much better companies that are available everywhere.

That being said plenty of manufacturers make incredible in-wall speakers, the trick is installation. If you MUST hide everything in wall voids then you're looking at extensive line cabling (RCA, XLR, or Digital) from a central source to small digital or monoblock amps. Or, if you have a dedicated space you can run all the speaker cabling from a big receiver or amp.

Best bet is to contact an AV installation pro and pick their brain. Just too many variables and unanswered questions to give you a definitive answer.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Cosd Apr 4, 2017

Thanks for the feedback.
    So the TV is mounted on a wall which was a fireplace. Either side of the TV were two voids about 14" wide, 20" deep and floor to ceiling which have been blocked in and plastered over. I already have my Sky box in the wall void (it is accessible if I need to) and was thinking to mount these in-wall speakers just above the TV.
    I am looking at options, first would be standard in wall speakers but I can't think of any TV's with speaker out terminals (my old Pioneer 50" tv did have these but that's because the TV had optional external speakers), Else I am looking at adding an amp or lastly would be in-wall active speakers.

Regarding Bose, I have two of the Sound Touch 30 wireless speakers so was going to keep everything the same, but that isn't essential.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Apr 4, 2017

The sound bars often attach to or hang from the TV itself so they shouldn't protrude, they become an extension of the panel in many cases