Forums Latest Members
  1. GordanDaniel Oct 14, 2020

I have recently inherited this Tudor Oyster Sussex.
    There is an engraving on the inside of the case back from its last service, dated 1949.

It was owned by my great grandfather and was worn daily in the mining equipment factory that he own until the late 60s. It was extremely beat up.
    I had it serviced and fitted with a new crystal. I only had it cleaned not polished and thankfully the original crown was saveable.
    Here is a before photo:
    grandpawatch.png

Here is an after service photo:
    Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 8.54.50 AM.png

I dont know much/ can not find much about the Oyster Sussex. Though i know they made a few variations for different areas. I have seen oyster Kent, Oyster york, and i believe one more that i am now forgetting.

If anyone has anything cool (or not cool) to say about this piece please feel free.

Thanks OF.

VinceFR, McKinley, JimInOz and 2 others like this.
  2. kip595 Oct 14, 2020

All I can say is that the work presents very nicely IMO, and the only other Sussex I can remember seeing was of Canadian origin - don't know if that was the specific market, just that the original owner had bought it and lived his entire life in Canada. It was 32/33mm IIRC - only glanced at it; hadn't gotten into vintage much yet.

Though it's a somewhat smaller group, someone over at the Vintage Rolex Forum may know these well.

Curious, did they clean the dial as well?

Great heirloom piece!

GordanDaniel likes this.
  3. GordanDaniel Oct 14, 2020

Thank you sir, No i specifically told them not to touch the dial, i wanted it as close as it could be to the condition it was worn in. though i wanted to be able to see through the crystal HAHA. I am going to check on the rolex forum as well.

Thank you

kip595 likes this.
  4. kip595 Oct 14, 2020

Good call on the dial, @GordanDaniel

There's a vintage sub on the regular Rollie Forum, but there's also a separate dedicated page/site for vintage that gets a few more specialized collectors as well, it'll be 2 or 3 below TRF if you google 'Vintage Rolex Forum' usually.

GordanDaniel likes this.
  5. GordanDaniel Oct 14, 2020

I did not know this. thank you for the information. I will check that out

kip595 likes this.