Forums Latest Members

Tudor Oyster Prince - Radium Dials Help!

1. J0hnnyT Jun 25, 2020

Hey folks,

Recently picked up this Tudor Oyster Prince. My big question is... Does this have radium in it? I have some work to do to it but do not want to open to watch up until i know. Appears to date from 57.

Any help appreciated

Thanks,

Johnny

202006256465831138395783273.jpg Screenshot_20200625-211138.png
  2. JwRosenthal Jun 25, 2020

Looks like if there was, it is long gone- someone beat you to the punch. A relume with an appropriate color (like butterscotch) by a skilled ...relumer (?) on the pips and hands would really bring that dial to life.
    Now there may be residual radium dust in the case, so I would proceed with caution- wear a mask when opening (which is fashionable these day’s anyway) tap out the movement into a piece of paper and wipe out the case and crystal with a damp napkin (disposing of all in a ziplock) before going at it.

3. dougiedude Carpe horologium! Jun 25, 2020

I’d say, most definitely it was a radium-dialed watch.

Like JW said, be careful. It’s very difficult for a watchmaker to remove every bit of radium from those nooks and crannies. Even with mask and gloves on (dispose into ziplock afterwards), do NOT be near (6 feet? ) the watch right after opening, since radon gas (radioactive decay byproduct of radium) may have built up under the crystal even with residual amounts of radium present. Probably not much, but better safe than sorry...

Beautiful little watch, btw!

J0hnnyT likes this.
  4. J0hnnyT Jun 26, 2020

Thanks for the advice here, my first Radium watch so rather nervous about it haha! I think a relume is definitely on the cards!

5. J0hnnyT Jun 26, 2020

Thats good to know, thanks for the help on this! And thanks, im very happy with it. Would you perhaps recommend buying a mini Giger Counter?

6. JwRosenthal Jun 26, 2020

I don’t think it’s necessary- either way it’s gonna do what it does and it looks like the worst is already gone. You just want to avoid any contact with mucus membrane- so don’t lick out the case to clean it up.

7. J0hnnyT Jun 26, 2020

I thought it had a half life of 800 years. That means its only 63 years into its half life so while it may not glow its still incredibly dangerous. I see a lot of conflicting opinions and mis information and im trying to get to the bottom of it. As tempting as that is i shall refrain from licking it for now

8. JwRosenthal Jun 26, 2020

Not discounting the dangers of ingesting or inhaling particulates- but unless you plan to encase this in cement and bury it in the backyard- I see no need to invest in a Geiger other than to know what you already know- it has/ had radium, there will still be a presence detected- proceed smartly and close it back up when done.

9. JwRosenthal Jun 26, 2020

Oh, and if the watch truly makes you uncomfortable, I am happy to dispose of it properly for you ;)

10. Dsloan Jun 26, 2020

Yeah, radium-226 has a 1600 year half-life, so definitely don't lick it. That said, the dial has a really nice patina. Hope you sort it out and are able to enjoy wearing it.

watch3s and J0hnnyT like this.