Forums Latest Members
  1. diverwatch May 29, 2022

Holy Grail of Tudors? Reading through posts referring to the first Chrono that Tudor put together some people might find my story conflicts with suppositions made by "experts". The time was 1973. I was a young guy learning scuba-diving. I started looking for a diver's watch and found one at the Hudson's Bay department store in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. I didn't like the aluminum bezel on the Tudor 7031 because I didn't think it would hold up over the years. I preferred the stainless steel bezel for robustness but I still wanted a stop-watch feature even though a diver probably wouldn't need it and the bezel should have been calibrated in minutes rather than numbers. What did I know, I was only a kid? I bought the Tudor for $275 and later had a ROLEX stainless steel band put on because the Tudor band was forever popping open when I was racing my bike. I got a credit for the Tudor band and paid a bit more for the ROLEX. I used the stopwatch function in my job at a television studio. The watch was sent away to Rolex Canada in Toronto to be regulated before the warranty period expired. After that, it was never serviced for the time I owned it because it ran perfectly. I had a lost pusher replaced (not an exact match but a local watchmaker found a Rolex Mark I from a Daytona) and some new seals installed before I auctioned it at Phillips in 2020. It fetched me $103,000 when all was said and done. I hope this clarifies some history that the black dial 7032 is in fact a reality.

Mark020 and TDBK like this.
  2. jaguar11 May 29, 2022

Any pictures?

3. YY77 May 29, 2022

jaguar11 and Dan S like this.
  4. diverwatch May 29, 2022

The photo you posted certainly looks like my watch, and the tell-tale identifiers: The aged hour markers, that's what happened over a fifty year period of use. It was my daily for many years. Also the lower reset pusher is indeed a Mark 1 and the origin was a vintage Daytona...but the milling is slightly coarser (not as many cuts as the original upper pusher). I'll try to upload a few more photos if you are interested.

Tudor shipped.jpg Rolex coronet.jpg Instagram post!.jpg Tudor case back.jpg
    teojjsg and southtexas like this.