Forums Latest Members

Trying to buy a watch and being asked for a reference?

1. neilbardsley Thought about a Speedy, got a Speedy Nov 8, 2018

I was surprised to be asked for references on here when trying to buy a watch. Not that I think I'm well know just that I see that the buyer has most of the risk. From paying and the item not arriving or not as advertised. Also I've dealt with two respected people on here and never been asked before. Made me doubt the seller?

superfly likes this.
  2. boogedyboo Nov 8, 2018

The seller may sometimes ask for references from the buyer when the buyer wants to pay by Paypal.

This is because Paypal tends to side with the buyer if a claim is raised. As such, a dishonest buyer may raise a dishonest claim causing the seller to lose out.

joso, superfly, Foo2rama and 5 others like this.
  3. jimmyd13 Nov 8, 2018

Don't take it to heart - I've done it and I've had sellers ask it of me. The night is dark and full of scammers, thieves, liars and worse.

Selling a watch can be even more fraught than buying one. When you buy, you can use a number of payment protection schemes; when you sell, you post away your watch and that's that.

4. neilbardsley Thought about a Speedy, got a Speedy Nov 8, 2018

I understand the PayPal issue but I offered in my first message to use bank transfer. Well let's see

PS I supplied three references

superfly and Paedipod like this.
  5. ahsposo Most fun screen name at ΩF Nov 8, 2018

There's not a lot of recourse in these transactions.

Say I had a habit of buying a watch and returning it within an inspection period after, say, taking a DON Speedmaster bezel off and replacing it with a DNN. Who you gonna call? Imagine trying to explain that to a cop even if you could figure out jurisdiction.

superfly, Larry S and Waltesefalcon like this.
  6. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 8, 2018

This is an enthusiast community first. It is not chrono 24. This is a safe place to buy sell and trade. Reputation matters, history matters, skin in the game matters.I have no issue with a seller asking for references.

7. many Nov 8, 2018

As a buyer, I've been asked to provide bonafides on more than one occasion. As a seller, I sometimes will ask as well even when not using PP.

superfly likes this.
  8. Dan S Nov 8, 2018

It's helpful to develop a comfort level in both directions, whatever it takes. I see nothing wrong with asking for references. And maybe this is just me, but I really like to share some personal information back-and-forth, especially if the money involved is substantial. I will generally introduce myself, and provide some background info, hoping that the other person will do the same. I feel a lot more comfortable doing a multi-thousand dollar deal when I know who the person is in real-life. And if the person is reluctant to provide references, or to share personal information, then that also tells me something, and I can just move on.

9. Professor Nov 8, 2018

I appreciate this sort of thread. Being a newbie to this category of collecting and more than a bit behind the times when it comes to buying long distance from individuals rather than from an established company I recognize the necessity for caution.
    More I learn here the more prepared I will be when it comes time to make a big leap.

superfly likes this.
  10. frederico Nov 9, 2018

Credibility is everything, and OFers know it. There are lots of reasons a member of the community might want to know more about their buyer, not least that the buyer is going to look after a piece or not muck them about.

I’ve only ever bought on OF but my offers always include references, so avoiding the need for the seller to ask.

Also, OP, you offered to pay by wire transfer, which means you asked for his bank details, right?

11. lcolors1 Nov 9, 2018

I recently sold a watch to another member. As a courtesy I sent links to my business yelp page and website FaceTimed with the buyer. Verified his employer etc. He will find that out if he reads this lol. We used zelle for payment. Actually he sent me 75% of the money and upon receipt of the watch immediately sent the remainder. This was a trusting thing as each of us had a chance to screw the other guy as none of us had any references as buyer or seller lol. Worked out perfectly though.

12. jaguar11 Nov 9, 2018

Seems reasonable especially if using PP although if using bank transfer then your money is your reference....

Paedipod likes this.
  13. lillatroll Nov 9, 2018

If I want to buy a watch from a member here I always offer refrences, I want the seller to know that he his dealing with an honest and trustworthy person. The same if I was selling a watch, ( although I have only sold one watch via PM) As others have said, reputation is everything on here and I am happy to supply any information I can so that the other party feels happy/ confident when dealing with me.

Edited Nov 9, 2018
  14. DRjre086 Nov 9, 2018

Having done several transactions on both The Rolex Forum and OF, I think I generally initiate conversation by stating my references I have worked with in the past immediately.

While most of them have been long standing members, I feel it creates a sense of trust off the bat. Both parties should be open and willing to provide details and references. Just makes the whole process easier IMO.

Millenary Watches likes this.