Trying a local watchmaker - looking for some recommendations on which watch to give him first

Hey Everyone, I've found a local watchmaker that I'm hoping will be able to service some vintage watches I have. I'm trying to decide what I should bring him first. Unfortunately I don't have any real first hand reports of work he's done and his business doesn't have a big social media presence to try and judge his level of expertise.

I think I have three options for watches to bring him (I'm sorry the photos are terrible, my phone struggles with the lighting in my basement) - none are all that valuable but all need to be serviced. As far as instructions go sticking with the basics obviously, service movement, ultrasonic clean but no buffing the case.

1) Omega Seamaster 166.037 - rubbing sound when winding + would like a new crystal

upload_2021-6-21_15-47-25.png
upload_2021-6-21_15-38-59.png
upload_2021-6-21_15-39-18.png

2) Omega Geneve 145.041 (thanks dsio for linking to it in the recommended watch thread :) ) - gasket residue in the case. Movement doesn't appear to be held in by case clips (maybe normal?) + would like a new crystal
upload_2021-6-21_15-47-8.png
upload_2021-6-21_15-42-50.png

3) Omega BK 14757 62 - this one is a little bit more of a project watch
upload_2021-6-21_15-51-30.png
upload_2021-6-21_15-50-32.png
upload_2021-6-21_15-50-48.png
I have a new stem, crown (32003SX), and second hand ordered from cousinsuk a few years ago as well as a new crystal thanks to some help from Archer (0062PN1102). The second hand on the far left is the one from cousins (066UX1377550), the other was on the watch when I bought it.
upload_2021-6-21_15-54-24.png

I'm going to bring all 3 to look at with the watchmaker but I'm hesitant on which to give him to work on first. I lean toward #3 since it's already taken apart and has been for a couple of years, can't even put it in my watch box to look at. I'd rather have #2 serviced though because I'd love to start wearing it. #1 while nothing spectacular was one of my better pick ups at a local pawn shop, love the look and feel and would like to get it into the rotation.

Anyone have any recommendations on which to bring first as a "testing the waters" watch?

I don't want any of them to get destroyed but it's not the end of the world if one of them did. I don't know if there's a level of complexity between the 3 movements, maybe give him the "easiest one to service" first. #1 and #2 are probably the only watches with any resale value so maybe #3 really is the best guinea pig.

I would give him the one that you think will be the most straightforward. So probably #2. Basic hand-winding movement in running condition with all parts intact (except for sweep hand, apparently).

You may find that, as a new customer, the watchmaker is not interested in your project watches as a first job (or possibly ever). Project watches can absorb time for little gain.

As Dan says, the second watch, which is relatively complete and only has one complication would be the best to take along. The first has three complications so will be more expensive to service.

The last is just a collection of parts so not something to try and start with - I would just refuse that job from a new customer especially as you are supplying parts. If those parts are no good or damaged (for whatever reason) then a disagreement could easily happen with you thinking they are fine and the watchmaker saying they are not.

Good luck, Chris

Thanks Chris that’s good insight, point well taken on #3. Honestly if I could get the crystal to seat properly I’d put it back together myself. That and trimming the stem were whats kept it taken apart for so long.

Doesn't look like you can go wrong with the last 2 - but at the same time, I don't think you can assess him well with the last 2 either, first one with the lume pips is the challenge I guess, if all the lume pips are intact after service, great

Do you have such a limited choice that this shop is your only option? Do you not speak with other watch collectors who might be able to refer you to a shop they’ve had success with? Perhaps you should ask him to service the one that is in pieces. If he declines that one, perhaps you don’t need his services! You need the services of someone who is eager to please you.

@Canuck there are only a few places near me and most just ship to a service center in NYC.

Anyways, a quick follow up, in the end I brought a 4th watch in, a Geneve with a second hand, i ended up on the fence with the 145.041 because I like the one with the second hand a little more. going to list the one above for sale this weekend.

After a service the watch is running really well. He’s going to work on #3 above, im just looking for the proper split stem.

Maybe the best part of the experience is having someone to talk face to face about watches. Im obviously not the most knowledgeable ;) and I learn a bit better through conversation than just reading on the forums.

Overall a really good experience.

BD0967C4-E014-4EDA-877E-32D4DAD6734B.png
Edited: