Forums Latest Members
  1. Hnansen Jan 9, 2017

Hello!

I have just bought a 50´s Omega that was quite of a gamle.
    The dial has a, in my opinion, quite fascinating patina, which could resemble the tropical dials that occur on the old Speedmasters. In the right lighting its quite brown, which match the gold index and hands quite well.

It keeps surprisingly good time with only a 30 seconds loss over the last 24 hours, so i am therefore thinking that my gamble is perhaps turning out to be a good one, as the price was good and as i have been missing a black dialed Omega in my small collection.

BUT - as its clearly visible the sub second hand is missing! And i therefore turn to you, the wise people of Omegaforums. Where can i find one that would match? I have tried cousinsuk with no luck. It dont have to match the reference 100%, as long as its the same look as it originally had.

And here some info:
    Cal. 266
    Year: circa 1954
    Ref: 2750 - 6

Thanks a lot in advance for your always invaluable help! :)

The pictures were taking in a very low lighting environment, so they are not great, but i hope the suffice! The brownish color is hard to capture on photo, but its clearly visible in daylight.

Fil_000.jpeg Fil_001.jpeg Fil_002.jpeg
    Edited Jan 9, 2017
  2. tdn-dk Jan 9, 2017

There must be a movement issue, there is no axle to put a second hand on.... Maybe you should get the movement checked to se what else is missing in there so it is not getting a moneypit.

Foo2rama and dennisthemenace like this.
  3. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 9, 2017

4. ConElPueblo Jan 9, 2017

Are you sure?

:p

Great looking watch, hope you'll get the issues fixed!

5. jurisevac@ Jan 9, 2017

This is my "project" watch,end photo of small hand,if it helps. DSC_0073.JPG

6. gee_cee Jan 9, 2017

Looks from the second photo like there might be one? Hard to tell with the minute hand partly obscuring it.

7. Hnansen Jan 9, 2017

@tdn-dk You might be right. But as said, it keeps very, very good time. Almost as good as my newly serviced SM600.
    I have taken another picture, and it looks like there is "something in the hole", if that may be the axle?

@ConElPueblo Alright, 30+- then! ;)
    And thanks!

@gee_cee There is definitely something in there!:

Fil_000 (3).jpeg
    Edited Jan 15, 2017
  8. Hnansen Jan 10, 2017

In the last 24 hours it has kept time just as good as my newly serviced SM600!

I suspect is has just laid in a drawer for a couple of years, so i am quite surprised by this. When i bought it, i wasn't sure whether to keep it or not, but if its possible to get the second hand fixed without it costing me hundreds of dollars, then i am very much learning towards keeping it!

A picture in daylight does not hurt either:

Skærmbillede 2017-01-10 kl. 13.36.28.png
  9. DON Jan 10, 2017

I checked a couple from some 30 mm movements that fit the pinion, but they weren't designed for that type of dial, but more for a sunken dial.

Didn't fit tight with the single level dial

DON

10. Hnansen Jan 10, 2017

Thanks Don! Thats a shame though. I suspected that it might me hard to find a suitable hand.

Is there other suppliers than cousinsuk thats worth taking a look at?

11. DON Jan 10, 2017

Problem is they're in the US and Canada and they might not want to bother shipping a small second hand

Jules Borel, Otto Frei and in Canada. H. W. Perrin

Going to be new and not match and probably $33.00 + s/h

Suggestion if you have a watchmaker. Just use a vintage styled hand that works, stick it in some rodico to cover the post and a tiny spot on top by the pinion hole and then stick it outside in whatever weather and see if it ages if new and shiny.

Maybe your watchmaker has some hands old enough that are aging in tubes

When I restored. I never bought new small second hands. Crazy price for a tiny hand (or even an OEM sweep). I bought tubes of vintage small and sweep hands and matched them to the dial

I still have hands, but without the watch in front of me to check. Don't know the post size required to fit

DON