Forums Latest Members
  1. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 4, 2015

I have, on my Watcho Seamaster 300, a "Tropic" strap scored from eBay, not too bad of a price.

Trying to decide whether I want a real Tropic strap from squinky, $250 and up!

I would welcome wearing experiences. I like how it looks and feels but I've only worn it now spring and summer, and I'm not sure how a Wisconsin winter will treat it.

Any advice?

2. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 6, 2015

No one using the Tropic? Hm!

The fake Tropic is ok, I'll keep using it. I'm having a nonpadded deployant made anyways, so no need to spend other money....

Tom

3. gophishin Aug 6, 2015

Tom, I went through the same debate recently, albeit for a much cheaper diver. On eBay I found what I would consider three categories:
    -"Tropic type/style" which are obviously not true Tropic straps but tropic design - I read a few horror stories of some of these tearing or being flimsy, so I decided against those.
    -NOS Tropic's that for some reason or another are being sold for $25-75
    -And the very legit or official looking listings for NOS Tropic straps at the $225+ price range.

I opted for the second category and paid $40 + shipping, but haven't yet received it. I too am confused as to why these would be so much cheaper when they are being listed as authentic Tropic straps and have all the markings, but are at so much of a discount. The listings for these are slightly vague, and not as convincing as being truly authentic, but I decided to roll the dice. I can report back once I receive it.

4. VetPsychWars Wants to be in the club! Aug 6, 2015

The one I bought is of good quality. Almost identical to the "real" thing.

I'm probably overthinking it. :)

Tom

5. chadpowe11 Aug 6, 2015

I have the 19mm tropic with curved ends I love it!! Also 19mm is much cheaper for legit. But if u can't tell the difference I wouldn't buy the legit one.

6. gophishin Aug 7, 2015

The less expensive ones in the "second category" I found all say "TROPIC", are Swiss made, and have all of the markings and product codes on them, making them appear authentic. I just can't figure out why they are selling for so much less money, but I'll find out whenever mine gets here.