Forums Latest Members
  1. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 19, 2014

Pardon my ignorance but i want a couple of questions about tritrium lume cleared up. Firstly is the lume in sixties and seventies watches a stronger/better lume than the eighties and nineties.
    Secondly why does it age diferently from watch to watch? I know sun is a factor but generaly the original sixties lume can still work a little even today, whereas 90's tritrium doesnt seem to have lasted. Come on fellas give me some really interesting useless facts on tritrium.
    Thanks

2. Joe K. Curious about this text thingy below his avatar May 19, 2014

Here are some interesting facts:
    Tritium is a radioactive isotope of hydrogen. The approximate half life is 12 years. It is a low energy beta emitter and not considered an external health hazard. However, it is considered a hazard when ingested.
    Hope this is interesting :thumbsup:

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author May 19, 2014

Tritium was used on Speedmasters (thus I assume on other Omega models) from 1962 to early 1997.
    tritium is used as a source of energy to excite the luminescent pigment contained in the mixture used in the hands and dial markers. Its hal life of 12 years means that in early speedmasters, only about 1/20th of its power remains, meaning that you probably won't see anything. Nevertheless, the pigment can be excited by light, that´s the reason why you can see some light emission during about 5-10 minutes after exposure.
    More details you know where :)

4. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author May 19, 2014

To answer directly to your question: no I did not see higher intensity on 70's watches compared to same models from the 80's or 90's.

5. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 19, 2014

The reason why I'm asking is I had a sixties seamaster and the lume still worked fine apart from the degradation. The nineties seamaster I've just picked up is shot. Is there more tritrium In the early mix compared to later lume?

6. speedy4ever Moonwatch Only Author May 19, 2014

in what conditions did it work?

leave it one hour in the dark. In absence of light, the more recent watch should bright more (for same amount of lume).
    as a reaction to light, there might be a difference if the pigments are not identical.

and of course, the percentage tritium in the lume might vary

7. JohnSteed May 19, 2014

Possible -

the 60's watch was refinished?

the 90's watch was heavily used? (abused?)

8. Event horizon faux seller of watches and complete knobhead May 20, 2014

No refinishing on the seamaster i had just a cared for example, my current 68 constellations lume still works better than my 90's seamaster. Im just wondering if they diluted the tritrium over the years before they stopped using it. Ive noticed that lume can go a burnt orange when shot and also a dirty green. Was this the colouring added that determined the colouring.

9. JimInOz Melbourne Australia May 20, 2014

Tritium has a really cool avatar.
    Tritium has made 531 posts and been awarded 345 Likes.
    Tritium is following two members.

JohnSteed and Varasc like this.
  10. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member May 20, 2014

::facepalm2::

JohnSteed likes this.
  11. alam May 20, 2014

...and the effects of ingesting Tritium are unknown...