Forums Latest Members
  1. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Aug 4, 2019

anybody own both?

if so what are the notable differences

2. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 15, 2019

with the prices coming down on both of these trilogy watches the comparison between these two are very close price wise.

anybody have both?

3. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 15, 2019

What is a 58?

You do like your random comparison threads I notice, the reason this one didn't get a bite is presumably no one had a clue what you were asking.

LeonDeBayonne and janw23 like this.
  4. scapa Oct 15, 2019

If you're talking about the Tudor BB 58, the notable differences are pretty clear to me as an ex-58 owner, and I don't see the substantial price gap closing much beyond where it stands now (BB58 in Canada around 4k IIRC)

I found the 58 tp be an attractive and well-sized watch but I went through two, one DOA and one with a loose bezel, before pulling the plug. The levels of fine detailing and quality of finish on case, dial layout and proportions, bracelet and overall package are IMO notably superior on the Omega (I have the Trilogy SM). I prefer the straight-up vintage vibe, patina and all, to the dressy/vintage 58, and have found it to be a far more satisfying watch to own. In sum, they're more different than similar, I think -- though I don't own a Railmaster, so can't speak to it.

5. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 15, 2019

yes,..black bay fity 8

6. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 15, 2019

i guess some quams can be said about the trilogy buckle and somewhat awkwardly long/straight horny lugs....but for the bb 58..where are the drawbacks?

7. SeanO Oct 18, 2019

the fact it's not the Rolex Sub.

if you're not a brand snob then no biggie.

I love the BB58 I just wish that it fit on my wrist properly (as I found with the larger Black Bays).

they're all modern watches so whatever you pick will be good for the next 10 years without any worry.

8. Bp1000 Oct 19, 2019

For me there are no drawbacks to the 58

It’s one of the best and most versatile modern divers there is.

Perfect size, sits beautifully on the wrist in vintage proportions, lovely matte dial. The rivet effect or gold markings don’t please everyone but they are fine with me!

The penny edge bezel with 12 o’clock locking is another touch even Rolex doesn’t have!

It flies under the radar too which is a benefit of being able to wear it anywhere.

ultimately for me it’s the shape size and proportions that really do it for me. Finishing off with the matte look and the brushwork and finishing. a real winner

Bugster987 and MCG555 like this.
  9. Bp1000 Oct 19, 2019

Ps I did try the trilogy SM

I really really like it. A lot. But didn’t end up buying it.

I own the trilogy speedmaster, and I’ma big fan of omega chronographs. That’s probably the reason I didn’t go for the SM. They are quite similar in look apart from the dial layout for obvious reasons and the trilogy speedmaster is one of my favourite watches so when picking that look it would always be the speedmaster.

Yes the vintage lugs are a bit elongated and it’sa highly polished piece but it sits wonderfully on the wrist. I just prefer the toned down look and the relaxed look of the 58 diver.

MCG555 likes this.
  10. Slowpoker Oct 19, 2019

The BB58 is a stunning timepiece, excellent quality at a very low price.

The trilogy series have their charms but I actually dislike the rail + sea for the simple fact that I'm after a modern-looking timepiece.
    The BB58 looks modern, costs around half of the trilogy series and honestly is the best bang-for-buck.

Good luck finding one though, there's a bit of a waiting list like all really popular Tudors; unless you're looking to pay the inflated 2nd hand prices.

MCG555 likes this.
  11. MCG555 Oct 19, 2019

Couldn't agree more.

I own 3 Speedmasters, but I am not getting warm on the trilogy Rail and Seamster. On a side note: I also decided against the trilogy Speedmaster - I like the 1957 Replica for various reasons much more... In fact I just bought it a couple of months ago...

Also I own a BB58 and can support all you‘re saying...

85299370-3220-47A2-AF1A-C5D85DA39E7F.jpeg
    mikekchc likes this.
  12. JPE.88305 Oct 19, 2019

The BB58 is a lighter and wears a little more thinly and discretely; the SM trilogy on the bracelet wears heavier and has a lot more polished stainless, though still wears comfortably given the proportions...I wear the former when I want a stealth tool piece without significant eye-catching ability, the latter when I want a little more pizazz. Though the SM on a leather strap is beautiful IMO.
    (I’ll add that I didn’t pay anywhere near RRP for my SM (maybe 20% discount), but paid closer to RRP for the 58.)

Edited Oct 19, 2019
  13. padders Oooo subtitles! Oct 19, 2019

I have owned all 3 Trilogy watches. At the RRP the Railmaster was a big ask. It just wasn’t a £5k watch, but at the more sensible prices being asked by the aftermarket it makes a lot of sense. If they had priced the trilogy at say £4K for the RM, £4.5k for the SM and maybe £5k for the Speedmaster I think they would have flown. As it was many hung about in dealers for too long. Don’t dismiss any trilogy watch until you try one. They make the buzz butt look a little tacky IMO, not an opinion shared by everyone I know!

Edited Oct 19, 2019
  14. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 19, 2019

seems like you can get the trilogy @ 20% off new online. i really wonder if you could swing that deal at an AD.

even though they made 3500 of them, and it's underwelming and niche, the supply has to dry up sometime.

i still ave my eye on the sea

MCG555 and Flatfoot like this.
  15. scapa Oct 19, 2019

My SM300 60th was within shouting distance price-wise of my BB58; both were bought new from the AD's display case. No contest in my mind with that differential but might have baulked at 2x more for the SM300. The SM300 is much more captivating watch on the wrist for me, and the dial far more in proportion (as the original 41mm BB's are), but YMMV.

16. CoDiffe Oct 20, 2019

I’ll probably be in the minority here but the squared off hour hand and the circle hour markers look wonky on the BB. They should have either gone with the Mercedes pointed hand or squared off the hour markers like the Pelagos. It’s a deal breaker for me and always has been as the hands and dial are the most important part of a watch.

17. pIoNeErOfThEnILe Oct 20, 2019

i think mercedes would look out of place on it. one thing i may not like is the heavy steel outline of the indices and hands. a lil too much refinery