Forums Latest Members
  1. mbirtch Oct 11, 2013

any views as to original or redial-thanks,MikeB P1010013 (2).jpg

2. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 11, 2013

Redial, no doubt in my mind. Also, not a correct dial for this style of case.

3. papaebetu Oct 13, 2013

Look it Mike

IMG_0270.jpg
    Gavin and dsio like this.
  4. mbirtch Oct 13, 2013

thanks for that-still looking for good example.............................................

5. Brent7928 Oct 16, 2013

I agree a redial but am not sure about it not being the correct dial blank. The pattern is completely wrong but I would guess the blank is correct.

6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 16, 2013

what about those metal hour batons?

7. Brent7928 Oct 17, 2013

my gold 281 has metal batons as well as an all steel one that I used to have. however, neither of those came with a bezel. It looks like some one either added the bezel or swapped the dial but the blank of the dial looks like it could be authentic to me.

8. woodwkr2 Oct 17, 2013

Looks like they took a dial off an older rectangular pusher tri compax and had it redialed (horribly) for the later model case. The hour, minute, and seconds hands are also incorrect for the case. Likely all taken from the same donor watch.

9. woodwkr2 Oct 17, 2013

It'd be interesting to see if they have a correct casing ring to house the 285 caliber movement in that case... The rectangle pusher versions usually had the movement fit to the edge of the case, while the later versions require the casing ring to hold things down.

10. Brent7928 Oct 17, 2013

hard to see on these two pictures but all that I have with me at work. Here is a gold 281 tri-compax with the same hands and dial style (not print) as the one above. It appears that the one above is a frankenwatch of original parts with a bad redial - in my opinion.

gold 2.jpg gold 1.jpg

11. Brent7928 Oct 18, 2013

I decided to wear the gold one today and took a few more pics. sorry they are not crisp but my dial is a little rough. It is original though so could be a good reference so you can see what I am talking about. The first photo I held in the light to show the reflection off the gold batons.

gold 4.jpg

The second is of the dial so you can see the hands as well.

gold 5.jpg

To me it looks like the watch was probably the steel version of my gold one, redialed and then maybe had a bezel added. I have seen several steel versions with bezels over the years. They may have even come original on certain models but I don't know one way or another.

gold 3.jpg
  12. woodwkr2 Oct 18, 2013

Love that gold one. :rolleyes:

You can't "add" a bezel to a case that isn't designed for one (short of soldering/radically modifying the case). The original watch in question is a franken that had a donor movement and dial added to the steel case.

13. Brent7928 Oct 18, 2013

good to know. I was never really sure if the mid case was the same on the bezel and non-bezel versions of the 281 with twisted lugs. They look exactly the same but I never removed my bezels to check. I agree with Franken as it looks like one watch from two different 281 models.

14. mbirtch Oct 19, 2013

thanks to forum for all the opinions..........................my take is -original case and bezel but franken/hands redial-pity as the dial is kind of attractive----------BTW-great get with the tricompax-slate dial is fantastic and looking to get one myself-----------------missed one in Japan by minutes-is the case size 37mm rather than the 35mm normal?-those extra mm's make the difference as the tricompax at 35mm wears a little small..................

15. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Oct 20, 2013

These external bezel Tri-Compaxes are all the same size - 35mm. They always strike the person who has never seen them in the metal as small. From the case similarity, people expect them to be Speedmaster size, but they are not. Given the amount of information on the dial, they certainly would not have suffered had they been a bit larger, but the eye gets used to them quickly and they wear very nicely.

16. Brent7928 Oct 21, 2013

I agree with Lou on that. I think they wear even better on a strap - for some reason that makes them appear larger.

17. Brent7928 Oct 21, 2013

here is a pic of my collection of tri-compaxes next to a submariner so you can see the size differences. You will see straps and bracelets that show you how they look on both as well as a comparison with a 40mm vintage sub. While smaller, I still like to wear them. In today's large watch world I think they kinda stand out some because they are a little smaller and unique - a little more elegant than some of today's offerings

timeismoney likes this.
  18. Brent7928 Oct 21, 2013

sorry, here are the pics. I hit post too quickly.

Group photo:
    group pic 1.jpg

on straps
    group pic 2.jpg

Size comparison:
    group pic 3.jpg

SpikiSpikester and andy_s like this.