Trick to winding Speedy Pro?

Posts
68
Likes
82
I just got a Speedmaster Pro from Topper Jewelers used watch selection. The watch looks great but I have a question on winding

First off this not a question about how one winds a mechanical watch. I know how to do that as i have two pocket watches that live on my dresser that I wind each day and a Aussie Jewelry store house brand watch(1950's Sheppo) that I also wind up when I use it.

However none of those watch have a slippery crown like the Speedmaster. Is there a trick to winding the Speedy as I am not able to get a good grip on it.
 
Posts
2,298
Likes
3,155
Picture please!

Which reference, is it vintage?

Maybe the crown is worn or the movement needs a service?
 
Posts
7,774
Likes
14,366
If you got it from Topper it's probably not too old. Some are stiffer than others to wind, they usually loosen up. There really isn't any trick to make it easier. Just use it.
 
Posts
504
Likes
1,953
I'm no expert but I wind my Speedy (145.022-68) in the morning before I put it on.
It's easier to grip the crown with the watch off the wrist.

Also, the Speedy is part of several watches that I rotate to a different one pretty much every day.
Because of that, I only need enough winding for the Speedy to last 24 hours or so.

.
 
Posts
1,444
Likes
2,221
My trick to winding the Speedy Pro was to sell the Speedy Pro and buy the FOIS -- problem solved!

It definitely gets easier with time and regular winding. I also picked up a few "winding tools" which helped but were a bit cumbersome. With any of the Speedies the winding is an integral part of ownership, and I appreciate the ritual and the flexibility that comes with daily winding, since it assures that I'll always have a watch ready to wear.
 
Posts
5,631
Likes
5,814
When I had one, I ran my right index finger along the bottom of the crown from 12 to 6 direction. Got a callus there eventually....
 
Posts
1,579
Likes
15,238
My trick to winding the Speedy Pro was to sell the Speedy Pro and buy the FOIS -- problem solved!

It definitely gets easier with time and regular winding. I also picked up a few "winding tools" which helped but were a bit cumbersome. With any of the Speedies the winding is an integral part of ownership, and I appreciate the ritual and the flexibility that comes with daily winding, since it assures that I'll always have a watch ready to wear.
Part of my morning routine as the day starts is winding all of my watches, so i don't have to set any of them. I miss this on holiday... not that anyone is going on holiday these days.
 
Posts
5
Likes
7
Mine is tricky to wind. There isn't any secret, but I usually do wipe off my thumb and forefinger at the edge of my pocket before I start. You get used to it. I honestly kind of enjoy the process of it, as many others have noted.
 
Posts
67
Likes
58
Why not just use the index finger to slider it underneath?
 
Posts
611
Likes
1,303
Compared to others it’s a bit of a bugger! I practise on my 8 day Panerai first! The forefinger swipe seems to work best.
 
Posts
18,302
Likes
27,671
If it was recently serviced which topper In Burlingame tends to do... the crown gasket is tight, as new gaskets tend to be. It will get easier. On mine I use my index finger and inside of my thumb to wind and it’s easy. I’ve got big hands and can palm a basketball. So don’t worry it will get easier.
 
Posts
18,731
Likes
38,881
Crown winder. Excellent tool for crowns that are hard to grip.

Good luck getting a crown winder on a Speedy crown.

(standard modern version I mean)
 
Posts
2
Likes
0
My solution was to get some silicone finger protectors from Amazon. Silicone provides excellent grip. The onesI got were a bit on the thin side, so they tended to snag while winding. When I doubled up the protectors, they worked perfectly. I hope this helps.
 
Posts
1,372
Likes
2,001
Good luck getting a crown winder on a Speedy crown.

(standard modern version I mean)

There's more clearance available than what's available on a Captain Cook Mk 2, which was what I got my winder for in the first place.
 
Posts
18,731
Likes
38,881
There's more clearance available than what's available on a Captain Cook Mk 2, which was what I got my winder for in the first place.

Are you serious?

Available grip distance on a Speedmaster is approx 0.7mm. You risk chewing that away using a winder.



Slightly different to a fully exposed crown on a Mk2.