Forums Latest Members

Traveling with 4+ Watches?

1. ipreferjester Jul 2, 2019

Hi All! First thread I've made on the forums, so Im excited I get to finally pop *that* cherry. Anyways, in two days time I'll be flying out to Singapore to visit some old friends, relax, and of course enjoy each others' collections. Just curious, but how many members have faced any troubles with customs or security for having multiple pieces in their carry on baggage? I've been reading online and I get the full range of absolute paranoia to nonchalance when it comes to the topic of carrying 4 or more timepieces with you on international flights. Curious to hear everyone's thoughts! For reference, we'll all be there for well over 4 weeks, and I was planning on packing and bringing my TinTin, Japan Racing Mk2, Sarb035 (on the wrist), JLC cal 493 and p478c. Maybe I should pack some less valuable pieces or do you think that this should be okay?

2. WatchCor Jul 2, 2019

Depends very much on your luck and what the singaporean import laws are.

I used to travel with maximum three pieces but reading this article made me wary of carrying valuable time pieces through any customs. So if I have to go through customs (i.e outside eu for me) then I select only one piece and keep it on my wrist

3. Uniqez Jul 2, 2019

Traveling with two watches never an issue for me. Four.... Like @WatchCor said it might be a test for your luck)

4. ConElPueblo Jul 2, 2019

I usually travel with a roll of six watches. Talking very enthusiastically about the merits of the various pieces has so far deterred customs from wanting anything but getting rid of me.

Observer, Traveler, Deafboy and 15 others like this.
  5. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 2, 2019

I once went to London for a two week business trip with seven watches as I was to appear on Time For A Pint. No issues with customs as I flew business class, the roll was safely in my carry on bag. I was nervous the whole time. Hotel room safes are not intended to secure such valuables. Personally I travel with one good watch and my Todd Snyder Timex for the gym etc. Recent horror stories about Swiss customs have spooked me even more. I’d take lots of great collection pics and bring your two favorite watches. Be super careful with the overhead compartment during boarding. Some folks like to “browse” easily accessible carry on bags.

6. dabbispade Jul 2, 2019

I did travel a lot because of work for longer period of time and I traveled few times a year with 6-8 watches but would only do that if I were moving.
    Today when traveling for vacation I am not comfortable to travel with more than 2-3 watches.

7. Risto Jul 2, 2019

Interesting. I never thought about this. I have always travelled with one watch though. If I would attend a foreign watch meeting I’d probably have 2 watches - one on one arm, but would not bring more. Paying thousands of euros... no way. Although you get it back eventually.

8. eugeneandresson 'I used a hammer, a chisel, and my fingers' Jul 2, 2019

There's always 'The Fail-Safe' packing method...

[​IMG]

Risto, Deafboy, MTROIS and 3 others like this.
  9. Evitzee Jul 2, 2019

Never concerned me. I used to travel in and out of Zurich when I lived in the middle east (had a safe deposit box in Zurich) and was never questioned about anything I was caring and I would often have 8 to 10 watches. But it seems times have changed and you can get some anxious customs agents that want to make a score. Still, it wouldn't bother me to carry four or so watches to Singapore, not a big deal as far as I'm concerned.

10. Henneth Jul 2, 2019

I mean there is nothing wrong actually wearing more than one watch, isn’t it? ;)

11. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Jul 2, 2019

Travelling regularly from the UK to the Middle East, 4 in a roll and one on the wrist.
    Only once had a comment from UK security
    “ you’ve got a lot of watches”

Never had any other problem.

Taking watches to Singapore is like taking ‘coals to Newcastle’ as we say here.

12. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 2, 2019

Not so sure about that...

[​IMG] upload_2019-7-2_19-44-30.png