Forums Latest Members
  1. dan7800 Mar 21, 2018

The wife and I booked a fairly last minute, quick trip to Ireland from the US. We are arriving in in Shannon 4/1 and leaving 4/5. We've went to Belfast last summer, but never the rest of Ireland. Does anyone have any tips of how to spend our few days there? We both enjoy pubs, and "cute" towns with enough to do, but that are not overwhelming. Neither of us are big into shopping. We also like "old" towns and seeing old things.

Also, I know how to drive manual transmission, how much of a challenge will it be to drive a manual car from the right side? Better to upgrade to an automatic?

Thanks all (and if anyone is in the area, we can always see about a possible meet up)
    -Dan

Edited Mar 21, 2018
  2. Noddyman Mar 21, 2018

We toured Southern Ireland about 10 years ago and my lasting memories where places like Killarney and Kinsale. Killarney is exactly as you describe with beautiful scenery just on the doorstep. Really you cant go far wrong as most of the smaller towns are quaint and interesting.
    I cant help you with the car as I am from the UK so we are used to stick shift:) If in doubt go for an auto.

dan7800 likes this.
  3. Rman Mar 21, 2018

The Ring of Kerry which goes through Killarney.
    Visited last year—- it is breathtaking.

4. calalum Mar 21, 2018

Agree re Ring of Kerry. Lots of great golf in the SW as well. And the car should not be an issue as long as you remember that the clutch is on the left. Or if that is an issue just get an auto.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Mar 21, 2018

Clutch is on the left for left hand drive vehicles also, so not a concern...

Dan - shifting won't be the problem, but looking in the rear view mirror might be the first few times...

dan7800 likes this.
  6. 63TR4 Mar 21, 2018

If you already know how to drive a manual it won't be too big of a challenge since the clutch and shifting pattern are the same. When I first drove right hand drive I found an empty lot to practice in before going on any roads; that made a big difference! And like Archer said, just remember about the mirror being on the other side and good luck!

7. Noddyman Mar 21, 2018

The hardest thing I find when driving on the 'wrong' side (right in my case) is judging the offside wheel. Very scary on mountain passes!

8. REckroat Mar 21, 2018

Echoing Noddyman’s sentiments, I’d highly encourage Kinsale. Great town to walk around, cool pubs often featuring live music. Also, if you happen to be golfers, Old Head is an amazing track to play. One of my favorites in the world.

dan7800 and Gav1967 like this.
  9. peterkirk01 Mar 25, 2018

Hi, I live in a small fishing village approx 20 kilometres north of Dublin. If you give me exact requirements I can hopefully give you some good tips. Dingle in Kerry is good for both food and drinks. Kinsale in Cork excellent for sea food particularly the restaurant fishy fishy. If possible and weather permitting try to visit the skellig islands as absolutely spectacular. My email address is [email protected] and please contact me for further information and I will gladly oblige.

10. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Mar 25, 2018

Corofin, county Clare, near Ennis and Shannon . Little village, matches what you are looking for and close to see all the sights in West Ireland.
    Lots of pubs and logging . Scenic. Besides that, my Grandmother was born there :D

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Mar 25, 2018

Keep the median off your right shoulder and you will be fine.

12. NickC Mar 25, 2018

I'm a frequent visitor to Ireland - in fact I'm about to move to Cork. As people have already said, Kinsale is a good place to start and definitely get a reservation at Fishy Fishy. If you venture a bit further East, a night at the Cliff House Hotel in Ardmore, Waterford would be worth it. Both the restaurant and the wine list are great. Ardmore pottery is a nice shop to spend some money in too. Lismore just up the road is a nice spot.
    Back out west, head to the tiny village of Glandore for a great pub lunch in front of a stunning harbour. Nearby are the beaches of Red Strand and Ownahincha, both of which will blow the cobwebs away. Fair to say that the villages and beaches of West Cork are some of my favourite places in the world. If you pass through the village of Rathbarry, give a wave to the church as it's where Mrs C and I got married.

13. roryoc11 Mar 25, 2018

I have spent all my summers between Cork and Kerry so hopefully can be of use. I would agree with some of the above that you want to do Kerry. I would base in Killarney, its a lovely town and you are good to see everything from there.

First off you can go to Dingle, c1h drive, its pretty touristy as towns there go but its nice to see- its worth seeing if the distillery there and getting some glasses to bring home, or going out on a boat to see Fungi the dolphin. (every dolphin is Fungi!)

Secondly, you can loop around the best part of Ireland - the Ring of Kerry, go counter clockwise from Killarney- you have Valentia Island- with its slate quarry. then the skelligs- its very star wars'd but worth a trip out to have a look at. And then waterville- charlie chaplin holidayed there so you have to get your picture taken with his statue. The view from Coomakista over Derrynane is my favourite in the world so stop there too.
    I can give more detailed advice on Pubs / walks if you decide to do Kerry!

Parknasilla hotel is on from Derrynane and it might be worth staying there if you plan to go on to Cork- stop in Kenmare if so.

I am a big fan of Kinsale- but am not sure if its worth going to Cork just to go to Kinsale. If you do there is one or two places there that are worth a browse for the occasional vintage watch.

Re the car- I would say sometimes you want a manual to take it down a gear before taking over a tractor you have been stuck behind for half an hour.

NickC likes this.