Forums Latest Members
  1. 17SGS Sep 2, 2019

I've recently caught the watch bug, and have sworn off my Apple watch in favor of some quality timepieces. I travel a fair amount and wondering what others use to carry multiple watches with them. No shortage of options on a quick Google search, but I'm looking for first-hand experience.

Primary concern is protection of the pieces, and reasonable size (no Pelican cases please). Three watch capacity would be nice, though I can wear one so two would suffice.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Omegafanman, DSotW and DaveK like this.
  2. 64Wing Sep 2, 2019

I am finishing building my own but don't have pictures yet...

Just wanted to congratulate you on seeing the light and joining the rest of us folks that like craftsmanship and wheels and cogs and springs and all the other delightful little things that make each watch special!

DaveK and 17SGS like this.
  3. Braindrain Sep 3, 2019

I find the leather (flat) watch rolls to work well. Roll them up and there's a fair bit of padding.

There are the Oakley travel cases but the have minimal padding.

4. wristpirate Sep 3, 2019

Depends on how much you want to spend.

I used to use a CaseBudi travel case and thought it done a good job for the price;
    https://www.amazon.com/CASEBUDi-Wat...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=5RGBHNFW4HP353DVKJ7P

I'd say the Omega Service cases probably provide best value for money. Nice shape and size with foam padding inside. Possible to squeeze 2 watches in one case if you don't mind one of them not having foam on a single side.
    https://www.keepthetime.com/product/omega-travel-watch-case/

If you want to splurge then Hodinkee do some great travel cases. The oval are my favourite, serious protection where the watch is protected on all sides and a really nice overall package.
    https://shop.hodinkee.com/collectio...ucts/oval-leather-travel-case-for-two-watches

keepthetime likes this.
  5. Evitzee Sep 3, 2019

Don't know if these are new or I was just not aware of them, but Omega has travel and storage cases. Kind of pricey but probably of good quality.

https://www.omegawatches.com/en-us/accessories/fine-leather/catalog

I have various service cases from AP, Parmigiani, Glashutte Original and others that are good for travel purposes. Keep it simple.

Edited Sep 3, 2019
  6. Bugbait Sep 3, 2019

I just use the red Omega cases as linked above since I have 2 (gave away the third) from previous services.

7. 17SGS Sep 3, 2019

Thanks for the input thus far. It seems that (like anything) you can spend as little or as much as you want. I do like the CaseBudi and had been look at a double version (the WatchPod) on Amazon. Pretty cheap protection. Gotta love the full-on leather models for $100's though.

8. DiiQue I don't believe that is possible. Sep 3, 2019

I'm currently at the tail end of a multi-country jaunt (Qatar-UK-USA-Japan-Guam-Philippines-Guam-Japan-Australia) and based on my experience so far, have been super happy with the ShockCase, which I bought on Amazon for around 13 bucks. I love that they are small enough that I can strategically place them in the carry-on to maximize storage room. They have great padding inside and the case itself is sturdy so I don't worry about crushing my watches. I currently am travelling with 7 watches.
    20190904_100623.jpg

9. Ryguy008 Sep 3, 2019

Traveling with plenty of high end watches is quite the catch 22 because I know they sometimes question them when you cross boarders. I usually wear one nice watch or my travel beater (was an SKX009). I think those watch rolls work quite well though (plus I personally think they look quite nice)

Omegafanman likes this.
  10. Bushido Sep 3, 2019

I will add another endorsement for the Shockcase. Small and compact for easy packing away and very sturdy to protect what's inside. I have used them for lots of traveling and they will easily fit all sizes from my 42mm Speedies all the way to my 47mm Pams.

17SGS likes this.
  11. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 3, 2019

I really like my leather 2-watch roll from the EgorStore on Etsy. The price was good for great quality leather that is going to patina nicely. They provided free monogramming and little leather inserts for your bracelet watches so the case back doesn’t get scratched

C41CD0CD-2E83-4E3F-80BD-1BC918A9D2AF.jpeg 07F5124F-1849-4CAA-8B4A-8AB0783FF55D.jpeg

DJG2645, Mad Dog and 17SGS like this.
  12. gostang9 Sep 3, 2019

I also travel, and bring additional watch or two occasionally.

For me, I want to equally protect the watch from damage and from theft.

I bought a $2 hard shelled eyeglass case from a dollar store. It soon looked beat up on the outside (which was perfect to make it even more “invisible”). I wrap watches in old socks so that no metal touches metal and they don’t move around inside the case.

They are both well protected from both damage and thieves. No one is going to take a ratty old case likely holding reading glasses. If they do glance inside, any quick glimpse would reveal nothing but a torn up sock.

I see the fancy leather rolls and flashy zip-up cases people use. It screams “valuables HERE!” too much to me.

Edited Oct 19, 2020
    kkt, DaveK and 17SGS like this.
  13. Braindrain Sep 4, 2019

These are identical to the Oakley watch vaults. Compact but minimal padding/protection. I found out the hard way. ☹

14. Professor Sep 4, 2019

I picked up a thickly padded eye glasses case at goodwill awhile back. A high quality case probably made for expensive sunglasses. Its construction and material are very much like that of the Shock Case.
    I got it specifically for storing a watch in a suitcase when traveling.
    Its big enough that I can lay two full sized watches with leather bands wrapped in thin collapsed foam shipping wrap head to heel. Or three well wrapped 25 mm watches. Or one extra wrapped expanding or bracelet banded full size without likely hood of rubbing against anything that could leave a mark.

The foam wrap is mainly to keep it from shifting around.

I suspect most sneak thieves in a hurry wouldn't bother looking in an eyeglasses case, or pocketing something that bulky.

15. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 4, 2019

Mad Dog and DaveK like this.
  16. percymon Sep 4, 2019

Another vote for the Omega travel/service cases - they can be picked up on eBay for £/$ 20 or so - provide good protection for a single watch. Oakley sunglasses cases are also worth a look, plenty of those around and the bigger ones (designed to hold glasses plus extra lenses would happily store two watches).

Alternatively there are loads of travel/storage cases for cameras / dashcams / action cameras that provide compartments and semi rigid outer protection. The GoPro Casey would probably store 4 watches easily..

https://gopro.com/en/nl/shop/access...YASAAEgJmrPD_BwE&yoReviewsPage=3&gclsrc=aw.ds

Can find these for under $50

17. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 4, 2019

[/QUOTE]
    There is a sense of occasion you feel when unwrapping a watch roll that you just do not get when pulling a watch out of a sock - I’ve used the sunglasses case too.

Though a watch roll does automatically appear more alluring than a sun glasses case, I don’t think that a junkie or an opportunist would hesitate for a moment to liberate a sunglasses case. In the “best shipping practices” thread, someone had a brilliant idea of using coffee tumblers to ship watches in. They are crush resistant, waterproof and not of much interest to most thieves.

18. gostang9 Sep 4, 2019

I fully get the point about a nice feeling unwrapping a watch. I have a much nicer carrying case when bringing multiple watches to a local meet. I wouldn't want to open a ratty glasses case for such an event.

However, the purpose of the thread was asking about "travel", which I assume means far away, on planes where one might sleep and be somewhat separated from bags, and that might include lower income and/or high theft areas (ie: touristy). The goal was "protection" and I explained why I use what I do.

As for theft, there is no way to guarantee it will never happen. There are only techniques to lower the odds. For me, if someone is doing a quick glance in my laptop bag's "junk" section where I keep many PC cables, hard-drives, headphones, sleep masks, reading glasses, etc... I'm making it unlikely that they'll grab the ratty glasses case from amongst all the other items. If for some reason my entire bag has been stolen, or the thief has a lot of time to rummage through a boring work bag, then they'd find and steal the watches regardless. Again, I just want to lower the odds... YMMV. :cool:

Edited Oct 15, 2020
  19. Braindrain Sep 4, 2019

STANDY likes this.
  20. dpercival1971 Oct 15, 2020

I think the shockcase looks pretty good.

Edited Oct 15, 2020