Forums Latest Members
  1. dabecassis May 13, 2015

Hi All,

My father recently purchased a used Bond mid-size (2251.80) for me for my birthday - which is an extraordinary gift. While I am extremely happy that he gave it to me, I also currently have a 41.5 AT in blue which I wear on the daily. The SMP and AT are quite different, and so is the size of the watches, however I do wish they were not both blue, so that I have some variety when I switch between them.

He engraved the back so selling the watch and getting a new one is really out of the question, and I wouldn't really want to based on sentimental value. However, I was wondering if it was possible to buy parts from either:

http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/diver-300-m/co-axial-36-25-mm/21230362001001
    or
    http://www.omegawatches.com/collection/seamaster/diver-300-m/co-axial-36-25-mm/21230362001002

And change this watch from a blue bond into a black one? The one I have is probably from the late 90's and the ones above are definitely newer, but since the cases are the same size, would the parts work? Since I wont be selling the watch, I could care less about it being a frankenwatch, more-so I want to know A. will the parts fit and B. where I can buy them? Ofrei has very few 36.25mm parts. I also would assume it would be fairly expensive, since I would need a new dial, bezel, date wheel and most likely hands.
    Thanks!
    Watches side by side.jpg

2. rwilner May 13, 2015

Crazy idea...would it be possible to paint the dial? That would eliminate a pile of parts hunting and assembly question marks.

Option two, buy a black SMP and swap the engraved casebacks, then sell the blue one.

3. dabecassis May 13, 2015

Swapping crossed my mind but while its real, there are no papers and the serial has been polished out by the previous owner. So resale would probably be fairly low even though its in great condition otherwise .

And painting I think even at its best would look sloppy. Then there is the bezel as well.

4. refugio May 16, 2015

IMHO this isn't a cost-effective route just to achieve a "different" look. Why don't you start with a handsom strap with Omega deployant for the AT?

Edit: Another idea - source a watch with the same case-back as the Bond but with a different dial and swap case-backs.

Edited May 16, 2015