Forums Latest Members

Traders, Collectors, and Deluded Aspirations

1. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2015

I was attracted first to this forum when I posted a beautiful 2998 I had acquired on WUS. I noticed that more comments were directed at the strap than the 2998 it was on. So I moved here where I find like-minded collectors who discuss, buy, sell while usually making little judgement of others. Perhaps as (speaking for myself) we have plenty for others to judge in ourselves. Healthy teasing, yes but not much vitriol until the rather deep collective patience is exhausted.

I like the sales forum where we can move on our hasty purchases or treasured pieces and acquire those made by others that we see the attraction when for them it has waned. For this service the ONLY cost is that we contribute a minimum of 200 posts. I am baffled that this rule causes so much confusion and resentment. Truly, if you can’t understand that rule, (and indeed its fairly easy waiving criteria), I don’t think it will be easy to buy a watch from you.

I see some members offering more than others, but it is clear they are inveterate flippers, not because they seek to make a living. Some are hunters who buy more than they can keep, and once the kill is made, they need to sell, to make room for the next hunt. Good luck to them. They might end up a few thousand ahead each year but it isn’t going to pay the rent. Nor do I see them over-sell, that is skate over the truth, or deceive in order to try to make the sale.

The free exchange of information here is unparalleled. I do not know of a forum where so much hard won experience and information is so freely given, where new people are not just tolerated but encouraged to learn and share. I would feel taken advantage of, if someone took my advice, and then tried to make me pay them a profit without adding value.

I even enjoy the contributions by people who do seek to profit from our hobby – two most notable who make excellent contributions are @Archer and @Kringkily both who (I believe) derive a living from watches. There are others, but I note these two as they contribute considerably more than they take. In fact if you never looked on the FS forum you would not know Mr KK’s business from his posts. It is clear that both enjoy watches and sharing information. Contrast for example a brave effort @Nesbit, a large jeweler who participated for all of 40+ posts, but was motivated by the desire to promote their business, not motivated by a personal love of watches. Even so, they participated without trying to take more than they took – it just didn’t work for them, so far.

As OF gains popularity, we see more members cruising through, seeking lazy answers, or seeking the opportunity of getting rid of a watch for a good price without expenses. I don’t mind that to be honest, I would rather have the sight of a one-time sellers watch here than ebay, and I think the 200 post rule, with its important and often ignored “waiving rules” is a good balance between safety and giving the members a good chance of buying a watch.

My background is trade. I will buy and sell flies crawling up a wall if there is money in them, but this is my hobby. My pleasure. I suspect I am not alone in this situation. I have half a dozen watches acquired in the last six months I could sell for a $1500 profit each. I don’t. Why? Because I have a real business. I might sell watches one day in my dotage, and when I do, you will all know I am a seller.

The thing is, I don’t know anyone operates as a vintage watch dealer without either a very high volume, or an independent income. So when someone comes to the forum, as more than one has in the last year, claiming to be an aspiring watch dealer – then I hesitate. They seek our knowledge, and then propose to turn around and profit from the very people that have helped them.

As the operator of www.speedmaster101.com I get many emails, all of which I try to answer. If someone approaches me for a valuation, I ask them to look at the site – all you need is there. That’s why I made it, it’s not rocket science. The more communicative someone is, the more information they give, the more I can help. What I cannot do, is tell someone how to be a trader. That takes years of building trust, reputation, knowledge and developing an intuition and treating people with respect and honesty.

Don’t breeze in here and expect me to help you get between me and a watch that I might buy. Especially when you seem to lack basic intuitive skills, the ability to use google, or the time to give the very forum you are quizzing even a basic read through first.

Luckily it seems the structure here seems robust enough thanks to those who created and run it to get along just fine in spite of all us. Lets face it, when we get odd people it does make it more interesting.

Edited Sep 23, 2015
    genghis, Dogmann, George.A and 44 others like this.
  2. jordn Wants to be called Frank for some odd reason Sep 23, 2015

Hear, hear!

3. Tiny Iota Could potentially be the Official OF Stalker ™ Sep 23, 2015

I'm flattered you noticed me

Mothra, ulackfocus, JohnSteed and 3 others like this.
  4. Davidt Sep 23, 2015

I echo every single one of the points raised.

With any profession that requires knowledge, skill and/or expertise, one almost always starts on either a very low wage, or actually paying out in order to gain the required experience, with remuneration increasing as you travel up the learning curve. Why some people think they can effectively bypass the training/apprenticeship/educational stage (call it what you will) and jump straight to the money making part baffles me.

Joining up here, only to jump straight in asking very basic questions, with the intent to make money off the collective knowledge of the forum, or in some cases actually making money from those on the forum who supplied some of the information, is very poor form.

5. abrod520 Sep 23, 2015

As a fairly new member here, and a fairly new owner of a Speedmaster researched via speedmaster101.com, I second every last sentence and turn of phrase. The knowledge is already available to anyone who puts in the effort, even to those who don't - it's just one Google search away. It's absolutely invaluable and clear in its purpose and phrasing. But then, this wasn't my first vintage rodeo :)
    Still, when I came here it wasn't to learn or ask questions - it's to enjoy my hobby with other like-minded people! Which is particularly valuable as I don't tend to travel in the kinds of circles that attract watch enthusiasts, in my offline life. I'm the weirdo in my friend circle wasting money on mere trinkets that don't tell time as well as an iPhone ;)
    So, sir, thank you for an awesome resource and an awesome community!

Bienne2998 likes this.
  6. Hijak Sep 23, 2015

Excellent Spacefruit!:thumbsup:

7. timeismoney Sep 23, 2015

url.jpg

Word!

Which Watch Next, bazamu and abrod520 like this.
  8. RCAFBuster Sep 23, 2015

I agree with Spacefruit wholeheartedly.

I've learned such a wealth of information from the OF, and there are certain members, whose comments I will always digest for their sage advice.

I like the idea of 200 posts with a view that a newcomer should become involved or engaged with those who may help them, and I like the idea of referring collectors to Speedmaster 101 as you must do your own research, and not rely on others as a primary means.

Above all for me, collecting has to be fun and enjoyable. It can be a little demoralising having everyone pick your coveted timepiece apart, but as long as its' done constructively from a learning standpoint. When it stops being enjoyable it is time to get out.

Cheers,

Buster

9. abrod520 Sep 23, 2015

@timeismoney Life is like a hurricane, but with a bit of humor I think we'll all get by!

10. davidswiss Sep 23, 2015

Well said that man !!

11. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 23, 2015

As I mentioned in that other thread, we deal with a lot of amateur dealers, mostly in private and 95% of the time when we express our frustrations they completely understand and we're all fine. Occasionally you get someone who is an imposition on society, its not that he's a watch dealer, he's the type of guy that keeps a mouldy Burger King cup in his Mercedes so he can endlessly get free refills and puts a restaurant bill on his card, only to round up what everyone owes him when they split up the bill.

People like that will make a complete mess not just in deals but in any aspect of life and then hand off their bag of crap for someone else to hold for them. I'm about to post a thread on watch "short selling" in the next few days to outline another practice that's technically not illegal or against any rules, but frankly stinks as well.

In any case its remarkably easy to see patterns here, and for us to identify people and their habits. The rules regarding FS listings having to stay intact after being marked sold and prices being required to stay on that listing rather than being changed to $SOLD is a part of that.

Its all rather funny sometimes when we just have to say to someone yea mate so I know you're turning over about 5-10/month now and its not just private collecting but commercial, and we initially get the "Who me? Couldn't possibly be, I just change my mind a lot" because they don't want to have to use the dealer section rather than the private sales section.

Helping newbies, people that have inherited and people that have had something for a long time and are looking to restore it or need to sell it is a different story as I'm a firm believer in spreading knowledge and information. I also try to keep in mind that for the average person not familiar with watches even the information we give them can sound like its in Latin. To them its a screen, not a dial, a dial is a knob, a crown goes on your head, a pusher is someone who crams people into a Japanese train carriage, and a calibre is how CSI find out who shot you.

dragoman, Mothra, marturx and 15 others like this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2015

Not losing the price after an item is sold is one of my favorite aspects of the FS forum, where I can learn more about a reference than digging through suspect ebay listings.

George.A, marturx, Darlinboy and 2 others like this.
  13. timeismoney Sep 23, 2015

For sure@abroad520

But then again, I can imagine established members like Spacefruit, gatorcpa, LouS and many others would get a ton of unsolicited PMs asking about this or that. I highly valued this forum for the amount of information one can learn from and for the openness and sincerity of all the members. I didn't mean to make light of the OP but it needs to be said. A picture was not worth a thousand words in this case.

14. timeismoney Sep 23, 2015

@abrod520 oops.

15. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Sep 23, 2015

You stuck in an airport again William?

Mothra and Spacefruit like this.
  16. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Sep 23, 2015

Well I just got out of one, left my stupid phone in HK.....
    So took my frustrations out on would be dealers.....

JohnSteed likes this.
  17. Pahawi Sep 23, 2015

+1

18. abrod520 Sep 23, 2015

@timeismoney I didn't mean to suggest you were making light of the post - I liked it, in fact, I made a joke myself! :)
    ("Life is like a hurricane" is the first line from the DuckTales cartoon theme song)
    But then, it's certainly not my place to be making light of anyone's post here so I apologize if I was the one who made light of it!

19. ulackfocus Sep 23, 2015

Agreed on the points about somebody asking us to do their homework for them - who are we, their lackeys?

As far as odd balls, well, I'm the class clown! :p I guess they feel they can't get rid of me, sort of like that strange uncle who saw the family through when times were hard.

I get tons of PMs asking about watches too. Most I'll answer, some I don't have the time nor inclination to reply for whatever reason. Geezus, guys - I'm semi-retired! Maybe I need to change my avatar message......

(just kidding!)

dragoman and Mothra like this.
  20. lillatroll Sep 23, 2015

I am one of those members who is still learning and don't have much to contribute except the odd "nice watch " comment. I do appreciate all the knowledge that is shared freely on here. I have even learned about speedies which I don't even like. I just want to say that I am sure the majority of members appreciate yours and other knowledgable members time and generosity as I do. I love coming here and reading about silly clocks as the wife calls them .

GaryUFM, abrod520 and Spacefruit like this.