Forums Latest Members

Tough question.... the one that got away!

1. GTAKnights Oct 16, 2019

ladies and gentlemen,

I'm new to collecting (2-3 years) and now have 5 watches. Sinn 556, Seiko Samurai, King Seiko, a Doxa and a vintage Seiko chrono. Love Omega's but haven't fallen in love yet ... kind of like saying i like blonds but haven't gotten married yet... lmao. I have small wrists so find most modern day dive watches and chrono's too big and frankly I'm cheap so new watches don't seem like great value.

I have observed, correct me if I'm wrong, that many collectors slowly sell and trade away lower value pieces to make room for more collectible or luxury pieces. I see myself going down this path as I buy too many watches too fast but I also believe this is the only way to truly find out what you like. You can't simply try on or even own a watch you must WEAR it to know it. The size, the brand, the story and complications... what speaks to you?

That being said my question for those more experienced collectors is this: As you have built your collection which value watches ($0 - $1350 USD) have you either kept because you just couldn't part with them or wish you never got rid of even while looking in your watch case full of all your beautiful pieces? Or even pieces that you keep going back to in either a newer version or in better vintage condition... just can't seem to shake and why?

The reason I ask is I wonder how to mature as a collector properly. I don't want to simply take the easy route and buy the watches that the masses deem to be the best. for instance I have tried on a few Speedy's especially since they are one of the only good watches produced in my birth year '77 (another topic for another day) and find them simply mesmerizing but a little big and the reduced is too thick for my liking. I ask here because I have been reading many very wonderful posts from true collectors with passion for horology that didn't necessarily swim down the same stream as the rest of the watch world.

All the best and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to be part of the community.

Patrick

2. BradleyJ. Oct 16, 2019

I wouldn't get rid of my seamaster 300 quartz which is in the price range you specified but I feel like that's not really something youd be interested in since its quartz.

If you want a smaller watch have you tried to find an aqua terra in 36mm? You can get older ones for around (maybe a little more) than your specified price point.

Ultimately only you can make the judgment if you like a watch or not.

3. gostang9 Oct 16, 2019

Welcome to collecting and welcome to Omega Forums! I think I live only a few hours South of you (~Windsor).

I started with entry level watches and moved up to higher price points. However, I have yet to sell one, even those I rarely if ever wear.

Ideal size of any decent collection is always n+1 :thumbsup:

Don't worry about anyone else, what anyone else likes or what anyone else buys. Find watches that you like, buy them if/when you can afford them and enjoy!

That's an excellent birth year, my fellow 42 year old watch collector (unless like me your birthday occurs in Dec, then 41 still...) ;)

Larry S, Maganator and WYO_Watch like this.
  4. GTAKnights Oct 16, 2019

I will know what I like when I see it or at least wear it but honestly I'm as interested in your story as much or more. I do like the aqua terra 36's and have them on my radar but Why the seamaster for you? Part of my issue as well is that I see better watches online in the proper forums then in the metal so any hints on how to find what speaks to you are welcome.

Edited Oct 16, 2019
  5. GTAKnights Oct 16, 2019

'77 was just a little too Quartz-YYY lol that is why I have found some late '60's early '70's pieces that work well for me. I like the simplicity of the designs but with something interesting like a colour or the shape of the indices. My chrono is a single 30 min sub dial which looks great and is still a thin watch... looks and feels great

I grew up in London On so frequented Windsor on occasion for Spits games and on the way to the states... fun city when you know people and they can show you around. Now I'm in west Toronto.

So since you have never sold you must love all your children but which one is your favorite and why?

6. BradleyJ. Oct 16, 2019

In a recent auto vs quartz thread I stated (and still say) the quartz is just super convenient. The low price point means I can wear it to work and smash it around without worry since the investment isnt too great. (And even though I've banged it a bunch of times it still looks great without damage)

Also if you can get past it being a....... quartz..... gasp!! the quality is still that of omega and it's a fantastic piece.

I'm working on my own "trilogy" set (speed rail and sea but all the specific pieces I like) The quartz seamaster is not part of that trilogy but it has a specific place among my collection.

Noddyman likes this.
  7. GTAKnights Oct 16, 2019

I can see the attraction of a watch you can actually wear. I use my Samurai for that purpose but its huge, fortunately the lug to lug is really short and the dial depth is beautiful so I put up with it. On the other hand my KS looks terrible with every scratch since it is simple with razor sharp edges, I wear it while holding my breath even with it not being worth much...

I can't shake the fact that watches are attractive to me because of the movement and the fascination with the mechanical aspect of it. That being said I could love a quartz but it would be for the look and feel or complication that isn't possible in a mechanical like a perpetual calendar in a daily wear. Seiko spring drive is an exception for me personally because it still has enough mechanical parts to feel 'real' lol

8. BradleyJ. Oct 16, 2019

I got a 2264.50 but the auto version is 2252.50. Compare the two... other than movement the only difference is the 52 says chronometer on the dial. But I do love the idea of a mechanical movement.

9. gostang9 Oct 16, 2019

When you open your '77 search up to the many 10's of thousands, you'll find some nice examples! ;)

Daytona "Big Red":
    upload_2019-10-16_16-45-56.png

Rolex Sea Dweller:
    upload_2019-10-16_16-50-41.png
    Rolex Submariner:
    upload_2019-10-16_16-47-18.png

Or a NOS Speedmaster:
    upload_2019-10-16_16-48-49.png

cooljme, JwRosenthal and Uniqez like this.
  10. gostang9 Oct 16, 2019

Go Spits Go! Big rivalry with the Knights... :D

Ah, that's a dead easy one for me! We have only 1 daughter! ;)

11. gostang9 Oct 16, 2019

Read the many threads on here, watch the sales forums. There are MANY great vintage mechanical watches available for <$1000 CAD. Don't forget to factor in service... but they can still be a lot of fun to wear for not a huge investment.

Trouble is the whole "never enough" thing...

12. Uniqez Oct 17, 2019

The main thing I have learned - buy what you like and what you will enjoy wearing.
    You don't have to impress anyone with you watches- they have to bring a joy of wearing them.
    You probably can find watches for different budgets that were made back in "77. Always put a service cost into the budget, when you are looking to buy vintage.
    Good luck with the hunt!

13. Dan S Oct 17, 2019

There are many, many really excellent vintage watches (the type I collect) in that lower price range. However, for me, the short answer is ... no. I haven't held onto any of the watches that I purchased early as a collector. (Well, that's not entirely true, my wife has one that she won't let go, a black-dial cal 265 Omega). I will still occasionally pick up a sub-$1000 watch now and then, if I find it appealing and it's a good value, but I have none that I wouldn't let go. If I hold onto one for a while, it's mainly because it's a hard-to-find piece or in exceptional condition, not because I'm especially attached to the model.

Larry S likes this.
  14. GMTspeedmaster Oct 17, 2019

im new to collecting too (2015), i bought and sold many timepieces already, some i regret selling. now I tried to make sure that when I add one , it will stay in my collection.

15. GTAKnights Oct 17, 2019

How do you know that you will like something? I find it tough, some pieces I believe I will love and don't and others sustain that feeling of needing to check the time when it isn't necessary.

what is your favourite watch currently and why? mine is my seiko 6139 because it has the original bracelet and the proportions and colours are perfect.

16. GTAKnights Oct 17, 2019

And what is it about the higher end watches that hold your attention longer? Modern size, finish, complications, prestige? I don't own anything in this price range so I can't guess what would do it for me and therefore can't pick the right one to start with.

It's funny I haven't found anything from $2-4 k that has jumped out at me. The mid range doesn't seem to have the value proposition or the magnetic draw of the luxury $5-10k pieces I have considered. do you find the same thing or am I missing something?

17. GTAKnights Oct 17, 2019

I do love many of these watches and a '77 speedmaster was really close to being my choice (one locally just sold) but the size is a little large and the chrono and space aspect is a little wasted on me. that being said any of those watches would be amazing.

18. gostang9 Oct 17, 2019

If you find 42mm Speedy too big and the chrono wasted, I think you should have no problem finding great valued watches!

19. GTAKnights Oct 17, 2019

here is my 38 mm on my small wrist ... love the details and the price point ... now I need a vintage Omega to compliment it

seiko 6139.jpg
    DaveK and gostang9 like this.
  20. Albe100 Oct 17, 2019

This is tricky. Especially with social media, forums, etc., we can get influenced. The best way is trying them on, although not always easy when it's something vintage and/or rare.

I'm a novice collector myself, and I have sold some watches because they didn't speak to me, or your taste changes, or like @gostang9 mentions, you tend to find more expensive pieces that start to attract you. I went through a period where I bought too much, too fast. Now I'm trying to focus on thing that I absolutely love, from the appearance to the history. But in the process, this means making more room (so difficult to part with them!!)

Good luck and part of the fun is discovering. Important thing is not to make too many expensive mistakes ;)