Forums Latest Members

Touching up Seamster Diver 300m brushed/satin finish?

1. Lovemy8541 Jun 10, 2020

I'm the happy owner of a new Diver 300m, but I'm also OCD. I'm in the habit of removing small scratches in other watches I've owned, but these were always a standard brushed finish. With patience and technique I could make the finish look nearly factory.

My new Diver 300m is a different beast. Omega calls the non-polished surfaces "brushed", but it is more of a satin finish than brushed. My usual techniques won't work on this finish.

I understand that scratches add patina/character, but I really don't care. I like to keep my watch looking as new as possible without removing too much metal or over-polishing. I'm delicate with my maintenance.

Any successful attempts at removing small scratches from this satin/brushed finish, and if so how'd you do it?

I ask because a local jeweler added a few when trying to size the bracelet, and the watch is less than two weeks old. (The very reason I prefer to do things myself!)

2. Eric304 Jun 10, 2020

Welcome and congrats on ur new purchase! I actually never done it myself, and I deal with #4, satin, mirror-finish metals at work. I think it will be really hard to remove light scratches or match the original finish without repolishing the watch.

3. M'Bob Jun 10, 2020

Some pics would help...

4. Wetworks Jun 10, 2020

I would think that the fiberglass brushes made by Bergeon would work well on a 'light' setting, but I don't know if it would be an exact match for the satin finish Omega utilizes.

5. mjb Jun 10, 2020

It's cheaper to buy some decent screwdrivers and keep your watch away from those ham-handed jewelery store people. ::censored::

It seems to me, looking at most of the diver bracelets, that the best job would be done after disassembling the links and separating the brushed from the polished sections. I'd leave that to a professional.

Lovemy8541 likes this.
  6. Lovemy8541 Jun 10, 2020

Thanks .

7. Lovemy8541 Jun 10, 2020

Ironically, the scratches were made to the side of the case, I'm assuming when he tried to clamp or hold the watch sideways. Very small scratches, but it made me think about removal. I'll try to capture in a photo.

8. Lovemy8541 Jun 10, 2020

A local dealer said they would be sizing bracelets in about a month, subject to change. I may wait and give them a try before I tackle with a 1.8 Wiha!

9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Jun 10, 2020

It may be the best way, but taking apart the links that are “permanent” might not be as easy as you think...

These bracelets are refinished as assembled units, not taken apart as you are suggesting.

Cheers, Al