Forums Latest Members

Took a (not so) big chance at the high school dance....(Gold Buckle)

1. GeorgeBailey2 Sep 17, 2016

So, as I wait for the proper opportunity to head into Manhattan to pick up my late father's watch that has been serviced, with a new crystal and crown, I have been casually looking on Ebay for a gold or gold-plated buckle that would look appropriate for a 1952 18k Constellation. In that thread, the conclusion seemed to be, "Good Luck." The only one that clearly appeared to be appropriate included a vintage strap and was $1,200.00. :eek:

I had resigned myself to just getting a nice band that I liked and maybe a decent gold-plated buckle that closely resembled one in an advertisement someone posted in my other thread where the watch had the same dial as my watch.
    Based upon the sticky buckle thread, I was also concluding that anything out of India or the Far East was not genuine.

Anyway, I did catch this listing:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-TWO-...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

The pictures are blurry and the header description indicates gold-plated, however, the detail description says, "THE SMALLER ONE IS STAMPED 750 THEN BESIDE IT IS A STAMP WITH THE LETTERS CM? INSIDE A BOX AND THE NAME SWISS."
    Altogether, the description along with shape of the buckle and the Omega logo (and two drill holes) made me think there is a very good chance that this is an 18k GM buckle as shown in the sticky thread. I won for the opening bid and there is free shipping. I figured that it is definitely worth the risk. I will update when I have it in hand.

Jwit and ahartfie like this.
  2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 17, 2016

So where is the Missy that was ready to play?

Nice find even if it's wrong, at that price no harm no foul.

3. mac_omega Sep 17, 2016

I think you have landed a big fish at little expense - I think it is gold! Excellent - congrats!

GeorgeBailey2 likes this.
  4. GeorgeBailey2 Sep 17, 2016

I hope so! It didn't get shipped today, so it will go out Monday. Hopefully, I will have it by Thursday or Friday.

This morning, an 18k AW buckle with an Omega strap went for something like $560.

I also will have a gold plated EK large buckle. The sticky buckle thread shows only one of those and its marking configuration is slightly different than the one in this auction.

Also, for my own edification, what would be the correct etiquette regarding letting the forum know that the EK buckle would be available? It seems that you need to have a certain number of posts in order to sell. In what forum would you be able to spam your ebay auction? I am hoping I am not breaking protocol by even asking these questions.

Thanks.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Sep 17, 2016

You can ask anything you want. It would not be appropriate to spam an eBay auction. Likewise you may not state in any other post, "Oh BTW, I have this for sale."
    If you have an item for sale in the appropriate sale section you can then mention and link to an ebay auction.
    You appear to have read the rules in the For Sale forum and have an understanding. As it stands now, you are not eligible to post there.

6. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Sep 17, 2016

Both of these buckles look to be legitimate.

If the smaller one turns out to be 18K, it would be appropriate for your gold Constellation.

Hope it all turns out as you want it to.
    gatorcpa

7. ulackfocus Sep 17, 2016

Had to click on this thread because of the title.

hirschfeld_aerosmith.jpg

mozartman and GeorgeBailey2 like this.
  8. GeorgeBailey2 Sep 21, 2016

The buckles arrived today and I think I scored.
    First, the one I am going to use with my father's 1952 18k Constellation. It measures 16mm.
    20160921_160859 (2).jpg 20160921_152545.jpg
    20160921_152601.jpg

And the gold-plated that I probably will list on Ebay soon. It measures 14mm. What model watches would this type of buckle have been sold with? Thanks.
    20160921_150723.jpg 20160921_152125.jpg 20160921_152234.jpg

GuiltyBoomerang and gatorcpa like this.
  9. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 22, 2016

Goood stuff :) glad to hear eBay still has bargains for the savvy hunter.

A 14mm would have been fitted to larger ladies watches of the time.

10. Sanmilc Sep 22, 2016

Nice catch !! congrats...

11. GeorgeBailey2 Sep 22, 2016

Thanks. The ladies' buckle explain the two links that were included by the seller (not pictured, but in original listing).The original owner must have swapped out the leather strap for a metal one. The woman must have been fairly delicate as the two links are about 22mm (7/8 in.).

12. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 22, 2016

I'd say all women are delicate - anything that my partner will wear (think Omega Sapphetes) is something that won't even fit my 6.5" wrist.

Well, I'm sure you'll find a use for those links :) and grats again on the buckle - you pretty much won the lottery (considering it'd be at least worth it's weight in gold value.)

13. GeorgeBailey2 Sep 23, 2016

True...true. Although, that is almost an inch taken from a women's bracelet.

Speaking of "weight in gold value", I am fairly confident that the two links are not gold plated. They feel heavy and have a couple of solid color gouges. I wonder whether the watch repair/servicer I am using would be interested in them? My guess is that a local gold buyer would be my best bet.

14. GuiltyBoomerang Sep 23, 2016

If you take a picture of them and put them in a reply, more experienced forum members should be able to assist in identifying them and their use. The most random of parts might just find a home here :)

15. GeorgeBailey2 Sep 23, 2016

20160923_211742.jpg

The more I think about it, what are the odds that someone (or anyone at all) would have this particular woman's band from the 50's/60's and would need these links? I think their value is as scrap.

16. tdn-dk Sep 24, 2016

The 14 mm. buckle was used on Gent's Omega watch straps, have several straps that use 14 mm. buckles. Also known on Seamaster De Ville's from the 1960's

IMG_7439.JPG IMG_7459.JPG

17. GeorgeBailey2 Sep 24, 2016

Thank you for the new info.

Also, the women's bracelet links were 10k gold. They're gone and I am already ahead of the game.

With the 14mm gold plated buckle, I might offer it to the watchmaker first when I pick up my watch. I see similar NOS buckles on Otto Frei's site for $52. I would assume that mine may be marginally more valuable. I may use it to trade for a strap.

Edited Sep 24, 2016