Forums Latest Members
  1. Stratlad Apr 25, 2017

hi guys, I've been offered a breitling navitimer at a rather "keen" price. From the pictures I've seen it appears to be genuine. I've yet to hold it, but pictorial comparisons seem good to my untrained eye.

It doesn't have box and papers and with the price such as it is I'd like to know if there is any way I can check it's not stolen or anything shady like that.

Is there a site that I can check serial numbers against etc?

Thanks in advance

Chris

2. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Apr 25, 2017

Pics are needed. These are notorious for Frankensteins.

Is it modern post 1988 or vintage pre 78?

For the pre 78 there is a great resource out there that alas is not in my list.

Nathan1967, Larry S and semper_shells like this.
  3. semper_shells Apr 25, 2017

Excellent question. I have yet to buy a pricey pre-owned but I was also curious as to if there was a site like this when there serial number can be looked up.

4. FlyingTiger Apr 26, 2017

omegasaso12 likes this.
  5. BondJamesBond007 May 20, 2017

I would be very wary, in my opinion, the box and papers are as important as the watch. Call me "Mr Suspicious" but there is NO WAY anyone would dispose of the box and papers after spending £000's on an Breitling, or another luxury watch for that matter. No box/papers then I would walk away....if your heart is set on it or if it's too cheap to miss, then you must take it to a AD and get them to verify the movement. Good luck.

6. tyrantlizardrex May 20, 2017

That depends how old it is... back in the 60s, 70s, 80s, even then 90's people didn't keep boxes and papers...

7. BondJamesBond007 May 20, 2017

Point made. Therefore even more critical to get the watch verified and the only way is to get the back off and get the movement checked. The fakes these days are so good, unless you know what to look for, it's easy to get burned and kiss goodbye to your hard earned cash.

8. tyrantlizardrex May 20, 2017

Given that @Stratlad posted the above on the 25th April, and never came back, answered the questions asked, or provided pictures, I'm not sure there's anything much to worry about with this one @BondJamesBond007 ;)

Pippo and Maganator like this.
  9. BondJamesBond007 May 20, 2017

Just saying, if it was me and it turned out to be genuine, then I would at least pop some pics on here to show what a bargain it was. Alternatively, the other side of the coin is that it turned out to be fake and is embarrassed to say?

10. tyrantlizardrex May 20, 2017

I think you're reading too much into this ;)

Rodmar and ac106 like this.