Forums Latest Members
  1. Poday Jan 11, 2014

If something seems too good to be true...

Everything here looks a bit too clean for something of this age. Obviously the bezel is wrong, and the bracelet clasp appears to be a later replacement, but the dial and case back just seem too perfect. Thoughts?

Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 11.14.20 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 11.14.00 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 11.13.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2014-01-10 at 11.13.24 PM.png
  2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2014

The bracelet clasp is not original.

The case back probably is original or is NOS. A service part wouldn't have the -67 on it.

It's not impossible for the dial to be original if it comes from a low humidity area like Scandanavia or has been shut away for a lot of its life.

Apa likes this.
  3. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 11, 2014

looks good. go for it. kind regards. achim

4. Poday Jan 11, 2014

Well, that was quick. Thanks for the advice, both of you. Either of you care to help out with next month's mortgage payment? :rolleyes:

5. Tritium Jan 11, 2014

Nice watch!
    Also notice the bezel is a later replacement. Take this in mind to try to negotiate the price.

6. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Jan 11, 2014

Great looking dial! The bezel wouldn't bother me if the price is right. Good luck!

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2014

Nice watch! Dial and hands look great

8. speedyfan Jan 11, 2014

Hard to tell from the picture and the color saturation but is all the Tritium gone from the dial? Otherwise looks like a great find.

9. Poday Jan 11, 2014

I agree it's hard to tell, however at certain points you can see shadows/highlights from the raised lume. Specifically the "stepped" portion of the marker at 8. Either way, I emailed the seller just to be on the safe side. Hopefully everything is good and I'll get a lovely birthday present in the mail in a few weeks

10. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 11, 2014

Looks like the lume is gone to me but the lighting makes it looks yellow by default

11. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 11, 2014

12. TLIGuy Jan 11, 2014

I'm far from an expert, and at first glance and on the wrist it my look attractive, but the center of the subdial hands look like the have been painted over in the center.

13. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 11, 2014

This watch has issues. It Is a bit of a bluff piece.

Depending on how that dial looks in the metal. Often dials like this, with all the lume missing, or at least looking like a thin layer of paint, can be attractive, or they can simply be just "sad". It can be hard to see which it is without a comparison, or at least better photos - I know from experience how hard it is to photograph a dial.

it also depends on how the body of the dial shows, the depth of the black, or tone of the fade. And of course if it has been retouched in the subdials, (which the photos do not show me clearly). Then this watch loses almost all it's appeal.

For the purpose of determining the value, I look at this watch as a head, needing service, a bezel and a bracelet. It may be an excellent basis for a straightforward project.

I bet it comes from a dealer. That is not meant as a critism. Dealer watches often look cosmetically good on first inspection, but then on drilling through the details I come upon problems that most owners would correct as part of the pleasure of ownership.

For example finding a DO90 bezel is challenging, but achievable, as is a 1039 bracelet, or at the very least a leather strap with an omega buckle.

So to summarize this watch, as is often the case, depends almost entirely on price, and a little on the actual condition of the dial. (I mean the dial looks ok from the photos, if it has been retouched then the watch is worth parts value)

14. Poday Jan 11, 2014

Thanks for the insight, Spacefruit. The bezel doesn't really bother me, as they come up often enough, though if the dial is "lume-less" that would be a bigger concern. As mentioned, I sent a note to the seller asking for clarification since the photos aren't 100% conclusive on that front.

The price was $3150, and I'll defer to the experts here to tell me if it's worth accepting, or if I should cancel the transaction.

15. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 11, 2014

I think the price is fair, not a bargain - but if the dial is attractive the price is irrelevant at this level. I like dials that have a yellowish brown fade, rather than a charcoal fade. Or no fade. But this one has something going on, I just cannot see from the photos what it is. But I dont think its what I would want.

Some people would ask $4000+ which is to high. (At the moment though prices are hardening)

The bracelet is worth $100-200 on the open market, so I would be selling that unless you have an 861 for it. Don't forget a 1171 is worth more than a 1171/1.
    A bezel to match the condition of this watch will be $300+.

When you think about it, 321 movements sell serviced for 1500-1800, unserviced 1000-1400, dubious ones for 800-1000 and even incomplete ones for over 400.

Your case looks lovely. Thats $1000 with the wind behind it. Added to that it is possible/likely that this movement came in the case, so it will get an extract showing its originality and adding to the value.

Therefore you are pretty close to parts value on this, excluding the dial, which makes me think the dealer knows its not great.

My SUSPICION is that I would not like the dial based on what I have seen. BUT its worth a punt at that level in my opinion because you can either return it or resell it for little or no loss.

It may well need a $600 service.

16. watchyouwant ΩF Clairvoyant Jan 11, 2014

not sure if the lume is missing.......looks like there is something over the white paint. kind regards. achim

17. Kringkily Omega Collector / Hunter Jan 12, 2014

I believe this watch is from Italy? typically I use extra caution in sourcing pieces from that country and this is no reflection of the country as a whole but the market there is a bit weird.

TLIGuy likes this.
  18. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Jan 12, 2014

well.....if I had that info I would modify my opinion:

bearing in mind this might be from a European dealer I would base my assessments as follows

the dial will almost certainly not be nice.

I would assume the watch is assembled until I see an extract.

it is my experience that there are many dealers who do not operate under the same moral code as myself.

until now, they have entirely been in Europe.

There are good ones, of course. But so far, I have not found any with a shop window who I trust.

19. Poday Jan 12, 2014

Once again, thanks everyone for the advice and information. I wasn't aware that Italy was one of the "problem countries". After gathering all of the opinions here, it sounds to me like this is probably worth taking delivery on. Being that it's "The Bay", I'd be able to return it if it turns out not to be what it appears. Unless the consensus says otherwise, of course.

20. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jan 12, 2014

Their postal service is known to have a long held tradition of thievery, come rain hail or shine.