Forums Latest Members
  1. Dre Aug 11, 2015

Hi OF,

I'm planning to go to Tokyo next month and I'm really keen to see the vintage watch market in the second biggest luxury market in the world! I've gotten a couple places on my list already like Private Eyes, Lemon and Jack Road.

But I was just wondering if there's any other good and trustworthy places that I should check out for vintage watches or cameras over there?

Thanks heaps

Andre

ps. If anyone want to share some good vintage or raw japanese denim shops as well, I'm very into it!

2. E-diddy Aug 11, 2015

3. Dre Aug 12, 2015

Yes, I've already got that shop in my list too! Thanks mate.

Anyone know if there's like antique or vintage weekly market in Tokyo probably?

4. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 12, 2015

Go to market next to Ueno station. In my last count there are at least 12 second hand watch shop, which 3 or 4 of them specialized in vintage watches. There are few vintage camera shops, too

Dre likes this.
  5. alfanator Aug 12, 2015

Wander around Ueno, kabuki cho, and the building jack road is in.

6. Wongo Aug 12, 2015

Decent prices? ::stirthepot::

7. Dre Aug 13, 2015

Sounds rad! Will definitely go check em out! Cheers guys!

Everyone keep telling me that Japan will be expensive in general! I'm hoping to go to like vintage market or something like that but you don't really find that there I suppose, definitely more like Europe or America.

I might actually have sometime to go to Kyoto and Osaka too so I hope I'll find some good places for watch hunting!

8. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 13, 2015

Yes on general. Of course there are outrageous price pieces, but on average is decent.
    For example last Feb, a mission patch Speedy was offered at around usd 3000. With stronger dollar now, it could be even cheaper.

9. NT931 Aug 13, 2015

+1. The weakening of the Japanese yen has made prices more attractive.

The good thing about buying watches in Japan (according to a good friend who's a WIS, who's married to a Japanese lady, and who visits Japan 4x/year) is that
    - condition is generally excellent for pre-owned as the Japanese do take care of their watches (and often the condition is better than stated)
    - B&P are often included for recent watches (eg. from 90's onwards)
    - you don't have to pay GST (ie. you get a discount off stated prices)
    - the reputable shops are very vigilant for fakes

I am looking forward to my Tokyo trip in nov!

Dre likes this.
  10. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 13, 2015

Very true on 2nd hand watches condition. Much better compare to Jakarta or Hongkong.

11. Dre Aug 17, 2015

Any recommendation where to go vintage watch hunting in Jakarta? I grew up in Indonesia but not until I went to uni overseas when I fell in love with vintage watches so I never really knew where to go for vintage watches back home, not that there's plenty anyway I suppose.

12. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 17, 2015

There are many 2nd hand watches shop.... used to be in Batu Tulis, but now concentrated in Blok M plaza. There are close to a dozen shops in one mall. Mostly sell watch newer than 1990's and 70 percent is Rolex. Very few sell vintage watch. You should follow several blogs specialize in vintage watches or friending fellow collectors.

Jamgantenk likes this.
  13. Dre Aug 17, 2015

That's what I thought, there are quite a few places for 2nd hand watches but not plenty for vintage. Interesting, didn't realize there are quite a few Indonesian blogs specialize in vintage watches! I definitely need to look it up.

Everytime I went back home, I always have very limited time to socialize with some of my mates. My family are divided between Jakarta where I grew up and Bandung where I was born. And occasionally I have to go to Yogyakarta as that where my whole big family originated from. But yeah I really need to expand my connection with some fellow collectors now since my interests in watches have grown heaps for the last couple of years! Maybe next Singapore GTG or even 1 in Jakarta? Haha

Jamgantenk likes this.
  14. Privateday7 quotes Miss Universe Aug 18, 2015

Certainly if you visit jakarta we could throw a GTG. Just shoot me pm

Jamgantenk likes this.
  15. Jamgantenk Jul 11, 2019

there is this new vintage watch shop called “Jamoldtimer” in kemang.
    Personally have never been there but ive been following their account on instagram, @jamoldtimer and from my knowledge i think they have quite nice collections.

Btw if you guys having a gtg can i come? i really like watches but only have one omega.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 11, 2019

This is a 4 year old thread :whistling:

Start a thread asking for a GTG instead of resurrecting old threads. ;)

Jamgantenk likes this.
  17. Nzhidajat Jul 12, 2019

How did you like lemon by the way? I'm also going to Japan and I'm looking for vintage on a budget. Was it good?