Forums Latest Members
  1. sav200 Feb 11, 2018

I've recently been given conflicting advice about the worth of having a vintage watch serviced prior to a sale, in this case a couple of 60's rolex - a 1016 and a 1675, both in good working order but without recent service history. So would a service make a sale easier and and to the value, or would most prospective buyers prefer to have a watch looked at by their preferred watch-maker? One Rolex-accredited watch-maker advised me not to bother having seen the watches, given the cost and time. Any thoughts appreciated.

2. Edward53 Feb 11, 2018

Your watchmaker is correct. End of.

Temprus and Davidt like this.
  3. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2018

+1

Most like their own watchmakers to do the work.

4. OmegaSean Feb 11, 2018

I'm the opposite, if I was buying a vintage Omega had it been services and receipts shows the work I'd be more likely to pay a higher price and be more confident in buying it.
    OmegaSean

5. Davidt Feb 11, 2018

The collectors who pay the top prices will generally prefer to buy 'as is' and have their preferred watchmaker service/restore.

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 11, 2018

Always depends on who is doing the service also.

Say he pays $750 each to service. He has to compete with watches at the same bench mark unserviced so many will go the unserviced as they are cheaper.

Most like us do factor in freshly serviced but a lot don't. ;)

To me it's like servicing a car you are trading in on a new car.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. Canuck Feb 11, 2018

Having collected for many years, and having seen many watches offered for sale that have been “recently serviced”, I
    never believe they’ve been serviced. Unless I see a receipt from the manufacturer showing serial numbers and a list of the work done, being with the watch. When most collectors are considering a watch, they are seldom prepared to pay extra for purported repairs.

8. aluxtrader Feb 11, 2018

Do not bother, Will sell for right price regardless

9. sav200 Feb 11, 2018

thanks for the advice.