Forums Latest Members

To service or not to service ....

1. Littleroger Jun 22, 2012

Hi all,
    Some of you know me from the Englishman thread. I have several watches from the 80s that I've decided to keep. They have been sat in a safe all that time. They seem to be running fine and keeping time relatively well too. Should I bother to have them serviced or leave well alone? I would like to have one waterproof watch (probably the Baby Ploprof) - should I assume it's no longer waterproof even though it has not left a safe for 25-30 years?
    Thanks for your help.
    Roger

2. ulackfocus Jun 22, 2012

If you plan on wearing them you should service them. The oils have surely dried up by now and you can damage the mechanism running it without lubrication. Assume a vintage watch has no water resistance, but you can have it pressure tested after it's serviced.

3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jun 22, 2012

Yes yes, regardless of what you do, be sure to have any of these watches pressure treated before you get it wet. Personally, I would not take any older watch in serious water, that includes snorkeling and swimming.

4. speedycosmograph Speedmasterus Pontificatus Jul 9, 2012

So if it says "Seamaster" I can't assume it's safe to deep sea dive with it? Crazy. That would be like telling me I can't park my car on a parkway.

5. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 9, 2012

Well you can take it below 500 feet , but only if you are on board a nuclear submarine ;)

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Jul 9, 2012

Try not servicing your car for 30 years and see if you can still get it /to/ the parkway to park it :p