Forums Latest Members
  1. GGG964 Nov 3, 2017

Good day to you all.

A little while back I posted about a watch that was passed down to me. After getting the nerve to pop the back of the case off, I found out that the watch is a cal 342/F6212. The watch did start to work as I was examining it, so I decided to put it back in its case so it would stop running, considering how long it has been since it ran consistently.

Can anybody recommend next steps for a proper restoration? I would like to replace the dial with an accurate one and have a service completed, but I cannot seem to find anybody that has the skill set local to me. That said, if there are any talented forum members that do this kind of work, I would love to give business to them. If you think it's not worth the time/money, let me know why that is so. Thanks for your time and insight!

omega auto.jpg IMG_2374.JPG IMG_2375.JPG IMG_2369.JPG
    Edited Nov 3, 2017
  2. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2017

In what country / city / region do you live?

3. GGG964 Nov 3, 2017

I live in the United States. Pittsburgh PA

4. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Nov 3, 2017

I don't know much about these. You'd need to source a dial and a service from a vintage watchmaker in Chicagoland would run you 2-300. Look for a shop in the burg that does Vintage Watch & Clock Restoration/Antique Watches /Pocket Watches.

GGG964 likes this.
  5. ChrisN Nov 3, 2017

The biggest problem will be getting a suitable 342 dial. These watches are 60-70 years old now but, I am 90% sure that I saw a fairly good dial for one of these recently as a possibility for someone else. Will try to think where.

Not every watchmaker is going to accept parts anyway so, best is to get it to someone so the dial can be taken off and the watchmaker has it in hand. Make sure you choose someone who has some vintage experience/contacts as, although these are not that complex to work on, they do have some quirks and parts are not readily available.

Good luck. For me, it's definitely worth doing and once you've worn a bumper for a while, you'll get the appeal;)

Regards, Chris

6. sat968 Nov 3, 2017

Are you set on having an original Omega dial? You might be able to save some money by having the existing dial redone, but that would affect the resale value. Your watchmaker should be able to send the dial off to have this done during the service.

7. GGG964 Nov 3, 2017

Thanks Larry and Chris!

Also Chris, if you do happen to think of that dial, let me know. Unfortunately, vintage watchmakers do not seem to exist in my town, so i'm willing to ship it to get it properly taken care of.

I've also just started reading bout bumpers! They do have a neat and quirky appeal to them. Hopefully I can bring this poor piece back to life.

8. sat968 Nov 3, 2017

BTW, you may find you like the dial just fine once the crystal is replaced. I purchased a connie a few months ago and I was certain that I was going to redial the watch. Let's just say I've embraced the vintage patina lifestyle now!

noelekal and GGG964 like this.
  9. GGG964 Nov 3, 2017

I would prefer to have an original dial (because I am weird). If a professional thinks they could fix what is there, then I am open to that as well. I'm not worried about resale for this watch. I plan to wear it and enjoy it! Unfortunately, I do not have a watch maker. This is my first time messing with an old time piece, thus I haven't established any contacts.

I would like to keep my business within the OF community if possible.

noelekal likes this.
  10. GGG964 Nov 3, 2017

I'm not sure a new crystal would help this thing hahah. The dial just looks incredibly wrong

11. dan7800 Nov 3, 2017

If the watch means a lot to you and you have some money, find a QUALIFIED watch maker to do the work. If you have the time, patience and want to learn, you can always search ebay (but be careful)

GGG964 likes this.
  12. GGG964 Nov 3, 2017

The watch does mean a lot to me. Finding a qualified watch make is difficult. In fact I have no idea where to start looking for somebody that has done this kind of work. What makes it more difficult is that i do not know what an original dial is supposed to look like for this watch. They appear to have been made from 1947-51 and have many different variations - perhaps its not even a redial at all.

I typically stay away from eBay. If I were more of an expert, I would give it a try, but i do not trust it especially after reading the thread about good eBay sellers that have fake pieces listed.

dan7800 likes this.
  13. sat968 Nov 3, 2017

Of course start by searching OF for watchmakers. Just be prepared that you might be turned away as some of them are very busy.

Another option is to search here. AWCI maintains a watchmaker certification. I haven't seen a list of Omega certified watchmakers, so if it exists, I'm hoping someone will tell us where to look.

GGG964 and dan7800 like this.
  14. dan7800 Nov 3, 2017

Spend some time and learn about the watch. You will learn about redials. Then, as sat mentioned, use the forum as a reference to find a good, highly recommended watchmaker. Beautiful watch btw.

Edited Nov 3, 2017
    GGG964 likes this.
  15. GGG964 Nov 3, 2017

This is an excellent resource. Thank you.

16. GGG964 Nov 3, 2017

Thanks Dan. I'm definitely trying to learn anything I can about this particular watch. I think my mind is scattered because there are so many different variations of the dial from 47-51. I suppose I was fixated on keeping it original, when in reality, I should just go with something that is pleasing to me. The more I look into this watch, the more i'm beginning to think that the markers and crystal are the actual problem, rather than the dial itself. It is definitely a difficult task to restore something of this age!

Thanks for everyones help :cool:

dan7800 likes this.