Forums Latest Members

To restore . . . or not to restore. That is the question.

1. ChuckinPa Oct 21, 2014

I have just acquired a 1955 Omega 470, the first rotary automatic. The face has patina. A nice, soft uniform caramel color. Almost looks like a darker linen face. (Sorry, but photos are difficult.) There is some foxing, but it is very light and hardly noticeable.
    I have been reading lots of blogs and most seem to settle the restoration question on one of two bases: first, how rare the piece is. And second, whether the owner wants to just wear and enjoy the watch, or to preserve it for appreciation and resale. Any comments?

Oh, and I have been unable to discover what material Omega used for these faces. Steel? Or something else.

Thanks.

PS I have been "lurking" here for several months. Great site, with lots of interesting stories and great watches.

2. TexOmega Oct 21, 2014

um, you know the drill.....pictures and information is the price you must pay upfront, no refunds.

But you've nailed the dilemma, it's one or the other, not many other choices.

3. mondodec Editor Constellation Collectors Blog Oct 22, 2014

Yep we need some pics. Preferably of the inner case back and movement as well as the dial. Makes it difficult to offer any comments without seeing the watch in the flesh

4. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 22, 2014

Still waiting......