Forums Latest Members

To introduce myself - showing my Triple Date Moonphase!

1. aw5588 Nov 27, 2016

And to introduce myself, i want to show you my UG Triple Calendar Moonphase.

It is an Portuguese Version (Look at the Week-disk and the month), 14K-yellow gold in a very nice condition, i bought last year. 34,5mm size, cal. 291. Later i added an original UG teju leather band with original gold plated buckle of an later model.

What do you think?

I am looking for an original leather strap in brown (+ buckle), that was used on this model, do you have any idea, which one and where i can get it?

IMG_1903.JPG IMG_1905.JPG IMG_1906.JPG IMG_1907.JPG IMG_1908.JPG
    Edited Nov 27, 2016
    Mad Dog, Darlinboy, Syrte and 3 others like this.
  2. gop76 Nov 27, 2016

It's Spanish, not Portuguese...

3. aw5588 Nov 27, 2016

I think it is Portuguese, because it is the portuguese month (setembro = set) instead of spanish (septiembre = sep) and the portuguese weekdays shown (Segunda-feira, Terça-feira, Quarta-feira, Quinta-feira, Sexta-feira, Sábado and Domingo) instead of Spanish weekdays (lunes, martes, miércoles, jueves, viernes, sábado, domingo)...

4. gop76 Nov 27, 2016

Portuguese - Janeiro, Spanish - Enero, English - January, UG - Ene. May is Maio in Portuguese, not Mayo that is spanish. I have no explanation for september...

You can believe me, i'm Portuguese and my wife is Spanish.

Anyway, good looking watch you have there, i'm still on the hunt

5. Faz Nov 27, 2016

We use "Set" in Spanish for septembre.

aw5588 likes this.
  6. aw5588 Nov 27, 2016

Ok, thank you, understand. But why is there f.e. "SEX" on my weekday Friday - i thought it is portuguese SEXta-feira (and the other portuguese weekdays as well, SEGunda-feira, ...).

7. Faz Nov 27, 2016

I have to admit that this is bizarre...
    Are you sure that The dial and discs are original?

8. gop76 Nov 27, 2016

In your photo i only saw Dom that is correct for both languages...

The only explanation i have is that the disc and dial in your watch didn't leave the factory together or, hard to believe, UG made a huge mistake and assembled parts in diferente languages

9. aw5588 Nov 27, 2016

i am sure, that it is not redialed and it is an original dial. But i am not sure about the month-disc... hm.

10. gop76 Nov 27, 2016

The dial looks good but months are in spanish, you can be sure about it. If you say that the days are in portuguese (and i believe you, i just don't see it in your photos - as i said before "Dom" is good for both languages), well, something happened: or the disc or the dial didn't belong originally to this watch or UG made a mistake in the factory.

But, as i also said before, it's a good looking watch and the pointed inconsistency is, imo, a minor problem. I wish i had one...

aw5588 likes this.
  11. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Nov 28, 2016

Regardless of the language, it is a very beautiful watch, indeed!

aw5588 likes this.
  12. aw5588 Dec 1, 2016

Hi, i found another watch at eBay Mexico, with the same difference in language: portuguese weekday disk and spanish months.

Look at the photo from the watch i found at ebay mexico:
    I have noticed "SEG" for "segunda-feira", it is monday. In spanish it would be "LUN" for "lunes", right? That is strange, because the month are as well in Spanish (ene = enero) and not in portuguese, "Jan" for Janeiro. Same thing like my watch.

Seems like it is notmal - does somebody have any ideas, why UG did this?

IMG_1929.PNG
    Edited Dec 1, 2016
    rolokr likes this.
  13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Dec 1, 2016

If the watch is Portuguese it should have a Portugal Customs stamp on one of the lugs, like a very small hallmark. If it doesn't have that then it's unlikely to be from there.

14. gop76 Dec 1, 2016

It can be from Brazil...

rolokr, LouS and JimInOz like this.
  15. gop76 Dec 2, 2016

I only see two possible explanations:

1 - UG factory made a mistake in the watch assemblage or,

2 - The dial or the day disc has been replaced somewhere in the watch life.

In my opinion, and is only speculation, the part replaced was the dial. Due to climate conditions the dials with 70 years from South America are not, generally, in so good conditions and what i'm seeing here are two original dials (i don't have many doubts about the originality) in very good conditions, so i'm guessing they were replaced much more later.

I know who's the guy who bought the inventory of Casa Universal in Argentina twenty years ago and a huge bunch of UG NOS parts were included: dials, hands, crowns, cases and, even, entire movements (I contacted him, two or three years ago, asking for UG parts and he told me that few parts still in his possession, he sold almost everything and anyway he doesn't do international shipping).

Maybe those dials came from him and were placed in watches originally sold in Brazil because, as @JimInOz stated, if they were sold in Portugal they'll have Portuguese Custom Stamp in one lug like my Tri Compax:

264605-68609102fe4cafaa7c43cfc14c86efe8.jpg
    239243-6635569a82cc28220f0d9838f9d5a82b.jpg

rolokr likes this.