Forums Latest Members
  1. Bushido Mar 18, 2017

I wanted to share with everyone a tale of my recent amazing experience as a very proud big brother: Gifting my little sister her first Omega watch.

Brief Preface: My little sister decided to go back to school a few years ago. She had originally received her undergraduate degree in psychology but couldn't find work which satisfied her professionally. After much discussion with myself about options within the medical field, she decided to return to school and become a nurse (RN). While not the rigors of medical school and residency, of which I still shudder and have flash backs, it is still a very intensive and exhausting pursuit. Putting most all other aspects of life on pause in order to focus on this one goal.

Thus, I offered to help out in any way I could. Move her across the country to where I live and help pay for room and board. Help with a cost of living stipend so she didn't have to work. Whatever I could think of to offer and assist. However, she declined each offer stating that she wished to do this on her own just as I had. Ergo, she has been fighting and clawing her way through school for the last few years. School full time plus working full time.

Fast Forward to 6 Months Ago: At this point, the end was relatively in sight. Only a couple of terms and examinations to go. She is almost there! I thought to myself "I need to get her something truly special to commemorate her graduation and this amazing accomplishment!" Well, being a very big fan of Omega myself and having fun conversations over my own watch indulgence, a time piece seemed like the correct route to pursue. What do I get and will she like and appreciate it?

After many hours looking over different brands and models, I had finally narrowed it down this past January. I thought to myself "This will be perfect!" Called my AD and placed the order. It took about 3-4 weeks to arrive. I was notified and off I went, nervously, to pick it up!

IMG_20170211_153623.jpg
    It was perfect! Exactly what I was counting on it to be.

Next up was flying her out to me to gift in person. I only had a small window between her exams and final round of clinical rotations. As luck would have it, the timing also fell exactly on her birthday!!

Moving the calendar ahead to two weeks ago, the time had come...finally! Needless to say, I was equal parts excited and nervous as she opened her present.

IMG_20170303_172427.jpg IMG_20170303_173035.jpg
    IMG_20170303_173048.jpg

Now the moment of truth!

IMG_20170303_173101 (2).jpg
    IMG_20170211_153552.jpg
    She loved it!! The grin on her face was priceless! Explaining the ins and outs of the watch, how to care for it, how it all works was also a very good memory!

Add to all of this the fact that I think it fits her perfectly. It all combines for a very special occasion.

IMG_20170303_174244.jpg
    Group shot with her big brother!

IMG_20170303_174327.jpg
    Once she arrived back home, she even took up wrist pointing like a true WIS in training!

391.jpg

She officially graduates in a couple of weeks and I couldn't be more proud!!

Thank you everyone for allowing me to share and for taking the time to read. At the end of the day, a watch is just a physical object. However, the memories and experiences while wearing a watch can become something truly special.

2. sleepyhead Mar 18, 2017

Thanks for sharing this. A very nice gesture from you and something to treasure for a long time to come. Unless the rather large dog gets to it first :p

Congratulations and all the best to her in her vocation.

Bushido likes this.
  3. Uniqez Mar 18, 2017

Wow, what a beautiful story. Congratulations to both of you. Did you put any engraving on the case back by any chance?
    P.S. My sister's birthday is coming soon and she is not a big watch fan, but she told me once that her Swatch has a cracked crystal.She was trying to figure out how to fix it and stuff....
    Tissot is coming her way. I know, not Omega yet, but I need to get her up to that level, step by step)

4. mdgrwl Mar 18, 2017

Thanks a very nice gift indeed :)

Rodmar and Bushido like this.
  5. Bushido Mar 18, 2017

@Uniqez, I did not get any engraving on the case back. It's a sapphire back and putting it around the side would have looked pretty garbled.

6. Jwit Not a doctor, but plays one on ΩF Mar 18, 2017

That is a great gift from a great brother! Can you be my big brother too? :D

Bushido and marcn like this.
  7. Uniqez Mar 18, 2017

Makes sense, I have posted my reply then said to myself: I bet it has a sapphire case back.
    Nice gift! Brothers and younger sisters are special bond and desesrve a special gifts.

Bushido likes this.
  8. marcn Enough space to say witty Mar 18, 2017

What a fantastic story and perfect gift!

It's gifts like these that far and away become priceless to the recipient, timed as you did, and now imprinted in her mind with the recollection of so much hard work and sacrifice behind her -- must've been quite a sight to see her eyes light up! Very nicely done, sir. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bushido, semper_shells and Jwit like this.
  9. semper_shells Mar 18, 2017

Stories like this is what makes watch collection a passion and not just a hobby. Excellent choice, and even better story. Saving for my daughters watch, got at least 8 years until I have to give it to her.

Bushido likes this.
  10. munichblue Mar 19, 2017

That's what I would call sibling love, a very nice and lovely gesture and a wonderful story. She's blessed to have a brother like you!

Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

P.S. Watch looks wonderful on her wrist.

Bushido likes this.
  11. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Mar 19, 2017

A great story! Thanks for sharing.

Bushido likes this.
  12. lillatroll Mar 19, 2017

If there is a prize for best big brother then you are surely in the running. Nice gesture.

Bushido likes this.
  13. ICUDr Apr 9, 2017

That's a really nice gesture from your part.

Also it's a beautiful watch! I have bough similar watches today my partner (Tag) and daughter (Longines). Went looking for an Omega watch and unfortunately found them a bit to dress up for the casual and relaxed women in my life.

I really wanted them to get an Omega, as I am a long time lover of Omegas, and this watch you bought fits perfectly for an upcoming anniversary =D

Edited Apr 9, 2017
    Bushido likes this.