Forums Latest Members
  1. sid2446 Nov 30, 2015

I've been considering trying to get hold of boxes for my Triple Date Moonphase, 120 Deep Blue and Chronostop Drivers.

I've seen a number out there and was wondering what members thoughts were. For me, it seems right to try to have an 'original' home for the watch. Guess it doesn't hurt from a value point of view either.

Would be interested to hear what you guys think ?

2. base615 Nov 30, 2015

I couldn't care less about the box to be honest

Davidt, Darlinboy and cicindela like this.
  3. cicindela Steve @ ΩF Staff Member Nov 30, 2015

One word, clutter .

Seriously, special boxes are OK for things like Centenarys or solid gold Constellation and maybe a rare Moon watch, but I would not go to the trouble for most things. If you get a box with a new watch or it comes with a used purchase fine, for most things that did not come with one, not so much.

Darlinboy and sid2446 like this.
  4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Nov 30, 2015

As a simple watch enthusiast, I wouldn't pay for a watch box that didn't come with the watch in it. Nor would I pay a premium for a watch with a box vs one in the same condition without one. But some collectors will and do.

An additional factor to consider.... If you're going to use the box for regular storage, how long will it last?

cicindela likes this.
  5. repoman Nov 30, 2015

There was a time I wouldn't even consider getting a watch without B&P. Then, I started to run out of places to put the damn boxes that I never use or look at... and whaddya know, I really don't care too much anymore about boxes.. the only exception would be a watch that comes in a special presentation box and with extra goodies, but even still, if the price is right for just the watch, I'll go for it.

Darlinboy and cicindela like this.
  6. sid2446 Nov 30, 2015

seems to be a consistent theme.

To be honest, i don't really care for them either......late night ebay trawling makes you do funny things. I'm turning this damn thing off before I buy a Seamaster 301 from guatemala....

7. devnull Nov 30, 2015

I would love to get a box with a vintage watch. That way I could sell it and lower the cost of the watch :D

8. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Nov 30, 2015

If the box doesn't have some direct relationship to the watch it is just a dust collecting piece of cardboard. The only thing worse is blank or forged paperwork.

9. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 30, 2015

I dig boxes. They're fun...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...and sometimes even essential.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Als 27, Petervl, ConElPueblo and 5 others like this.
  10. Selbo Nov 30, 2015

I used to be all about tracking down the period correct boxes for my watches. You begin to realize that these boxes are for the most part flimsy, cardboard pieces of crap and serve no purpose. A Jezler box for a Centenary is one thing but $200 for cardboard to cram in a sock drawer? Don't waste your watch fund. I've moved on.

11. Selbo Nov 30, 2015

Yeah, well, some boxes are better than others. These are true display boxes and very nice. The boxes I'm picturing are the Amazon shipping boxes of yesteryear.

connieseamaster likes this.
  12. MMMD unaffiliated curmudgeonly absurdist & polyologist Nov 30, 2015

I hear you. I like the ephemera, but if it's too ephemeral, it's crap.

Selbo likes this.
  13. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Nov 30, 2015

they do look nice on chrono24 listings. :)

Modern LE's, yeah, full kit, but vintage, no so much. They look so much better together in a nice display case, don't they?

14. Peemacgee Purrrr-veyor of luxury cat box loungers Dec 1, 2015

I bought a Connie last night with original box and papers and recently bought another with the same at auction
    Paid a bit of a premium but only because they came as the original set - nice to have

I don't think I would set out to pick up a separate box for the sake of it
    (unless it was very special)

Agree with the comments above
    Watches are better on view in a display case
    And I would rather buy another watch with the funds

mactab likes this.
  15. mactab Dec 1, 2015

As Peemacgee says I wouldn't be out hunting down an original box either- papers would be better but if a watch comes with them then great!
    I'm getting a nice 5 watch case for my 3 connie piepans SS 168.005, SS 168.0065 and my 18k 168.5415 for Christmas - just looking for two other piepans to fill it and then I'm done for a while. (an early SS Cross hair hidden crown and a gold cap Cross hair)

16. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Dec 1, 2015

I try to collect period correct boxes (not necessarily exact originals) for vintage watches. It used to be a very inexpensive way to enhance the vintage look of a watch, particularly when you go to sell it.

However, with the prices being asked on some of these boxes, I just don't bother anymore. Some Constellation boxes are going for $200 and up. It wasn't that long ago that you could buy a decent Constellation watch for that kind of money.

You can still pick up the 10" hard plastic boxes for 1940's and 1950's Hamiltons for $15 to $20. At least those are still reasonable.
    gatorcpa

17. mac_omega Dec 1, 2015

I love vintage boxes - if they are period correct and match my vintage pieces... and I am still on the hunt.

Seems that I am one of the few collectors who bothers about boxes?

So if you have some nice boxes to part with I am willing to take them ;)

Als 27 likes this.
  18. Kristian N Feb 20, 2019

Old thread but still relevant. I guess I agree with you there mac_omega..I also think an original box looks cool. Looking for the Jezler silver for my recently bought Centenary!

19. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Feb 20, 2019

I think after a 3 year “statute of limitations” has passed, we should be able to LIKE our own post:)

JanV and Kristian N like this.